Firecaster: mini-humbuckers in a Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firecaster: mini-humbuckers in a Strat

I've been toying with the idea of putting a pair of SD Firebird-style mini-humbuckers in an American Series Strat. Has anyone done this, and if so which models did you use? How did the neck and bridge pickups line up with the Strat string spacing (good coverage of the low and high E strings)?

I already have an SM-3 in the neck of a Tele and like it a lot. I was really impressed with the tone that Joe Walsh got with an SM model mini-HB at the bridge of a Strat clone on the Crossroads DVD (the tune with James Taylor). Anyone know which SM pickup that is? That's the tone I'm after.

Re: Firecaster: mini-humbuckers in a Strat

go there and look at the hellcat model

Comment

if it were me id go with a vintage neck and seymourized bridge but the seymourized neck would obviously match up fine.

i wouldnt worry about the spacing, especially if you get the seymourized versions as they have blade poles under the cover

Comment

Sorry if I hijack this briefly, but what full-size 'bucker would match well with an SM-1 in the neck of a strat for vintage rock sounds (from Beatle-esque through Rush, etc)

Comment

I remember reading a thread about the construction of Firebird and LP Deluxe mini-hums, but I can't remember the details. Aside from differences in tone, I am wondering whether the construction of one pickup vs. another would argue for a particular choice (e.g., construction of the SM3 is better suited to trem spacing than that of the SM1). It sounds like the SM3 would be a good choice for the bridge from what Jeremy says and what little I can recall about the construction.

DD12939's question is a good one, too -- a lot of LP Deluxe players replaced the bridge mini-HB with a full-size HB. However, the tone that Joe Walsh got from that red Strat clone with an SM-series mini-HB in the bridge was inspirational. Check it out if you get the chance -- and let me know if you hear what he used (it clearly had the SD logo on the chrome cover like the SM series).

Comment

i have an sm-1 in the neck of a tele with a tele hot rails in the bridge with a 500K volume pot and 250K tone pot....anyway, this is now my main guitar, i love the sounds, it's the first guitar with a neck pickup i like to use. i play mostly high gain stuff so on the typical guitar when you go to the neck on high gain and try to play some cords it tends to get a bit muddy...but with this sm-1 it sounds perfect no mud and still a nice crunch even from a "vintage" style pickup. i'm also in the same boat as you thinking of sticking mini hums in a strat...i may do a strat clone of my tele though with a tele hotrails in the bridge and the sm-1 in the neck and one vol. one tone....very odd for a strat but if it sounds similar to my tele i'll finally have a strat i can use more often. you won't have any problems with string spacing on a strat, i have a new sm-2 neck sitting around i never used since i liked the sm-1 so much, i just layed it over the strings of one of my strats and there is plenty of pickup hanging past the strings, there should be no problems with the E's. i say try out the sm-1 in the neck, i love this little guy, it sounds great clean, real high gain and anything in b/t.

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I may try the SM-1 neck -- that way I can switch it with the SM-3 neck I already have to see what works best. I do like the clips of the SM-3 bridge pup. Still, I'd love to know which model Joe Walsh was using. I emailed him, but no reply yet.

Comment

I haven't tried this myself, but Joe Walsh played a single pickup Strat equipped with one SD mini humbucker (bridge position) at the Crossroads Festival and it sounded fantastic! Made me want to make a Strat like that.

Edit: I just realized you already know about the Joe Walsh guitar and that's the tone you're after. I don't know which model it is. If you find out, let us know!
                Last edited by Bluesman75; 01-27-2005, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X