X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• desirable, late 80's PGb?

I have a late 80's SHPGb with a sticker with the following:

PGBJ

I have read that the J stands for "MJ". is this pickup desirable in any way?

I have had it in and out of Les Pauls since I replaced it with a 4 conductor version. It has been in two other Les Pauls of mine and it has proven to me that I just don't care for Gibson pickups much. It has made me purchase different Duncans for those other two guitars.

Just wondering, is there any secret mojo in it?

Re: desirable, late 80's PGb?

Co-incidence My S/H Pearly Gates 4 conductor bridge probably from after 1993, also has "PGB J" stamped on a small sticker on it. This made me wonder what the J was for too. Does anyone have more info on them please?

North coil has a DCR of 4.25 kOhms and South is 4.1 k. Is there a reason for this 150 Ohm difference?
    Well at least I'm not blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisp View Post
      Co-incidence My S/H Pearly Gates 4 conductor bridge probably from after 1993, also has "PGB J" stamped on a small sticker on it. This made me wonder what the J was for too. Does anyone have more info on them please?

North coil has a DCR of 4.25 kOhms and South is 4.1 k. Is there a reason for this 150 Ohm difference?
      Yes
      That is the reason the. PEarly Gates sounds the way it does. Otherwise it sound like a AP2. or slash, I guess.
      Last edited by audiocheck; 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

OK, uneven windings, I get that, thanks.

On the J, should have Googled and found the Duncan label FAQ page first. Yes, it was MJ.

My brand new A2P Neck has 3.8 k North and 3.65 k South for 7.45 k total. The advertised value is 7.6 k. Mmm...???
        Last edited by Chrisp; 04-02-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

My brand new A2P Neck has 3.8 k North and 3.65 k South for 7.45 k total. The advertised value is 7.6 k. Mmm...???
          Values always vary... different meter, different temp, etc...
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

OK, uneven windings, I get that, thanks.

On the J, should have Googled and found the Duncan label FAQ page first. Yes, it was MJ.

Theres a 10 percent tolerance on the advertised resistances your numbers are well within the limits. You take that plus the other factors that Ayrton mentions and you got a perfectly normal nothing special PG. The amount of variance you have between the coils is not on purpose. I'm willing to bet 100 dollars that if you want to unwind your pickup you will find exactly the same amount of turns on each coil. (Hint they are wound to turn count not resistance as resistance can vary with the consistency of the diameter of the wire and other variables)
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Thanks Guys, should have remembered about tolerance.

With 10% tolerance a nominally 8.0 k pup could read from 7.2 k to 8.8 k, but they would all have the same number of turns these days. Digging way back into my mostly forgotten EMF theory, the voltage output depends more on the number of turns than the resistance, so that's OK. ([sigh] I'll have to go and look that up now and I haven't made my supper yet. )

Comment

It is as desirable as ANY Pearly Gates.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  It is as desirable as ANY Pearly Gates.
                  OK cool. Kinda what I thought. I like the ones I purchased just a couple of years ago, just as much as this one. So I won't feel bad letting it go then.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X