banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have used a bridge pup in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you have used a bridge pup in the neck?

I have liked the Custom 5, nice and creamy. Dimebags tech said he used a 59 bridge in the neck (hey Orpheo, Blueman, Kojack wouldn’t you have preferred a 59 B/N hybrid?). Mating a GFS Mean 90 neck with a 59 bridge was fine but with a Duncan Custom it lacks a bit of power, so I’m thinking a Mean 90 bridge in the neck.

I believe Gibson didn’t start making neck pups (they were all the same) until the 70’s, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Please tell us you’re experience with a bridge pup in the neck!

Thanks.
    -R

Re: How many of you have used a bridge pup in the neck?

Not only did they not make specific bridge or neck pickups originally, it was all handwound and they would just throw two pickups in, so you could end up in cases with a 10k wound neck and a 7k bridge. Not to mention that magnets weren't standardised, so it was a seemingly random process.

The way I've seen it, at least with the lower output PAF-styled pickups, it seems like SDs have a normal wind in the bridge and little underwound in the neck, so theoretically a bridge pickup in the neck would be better if you had, say, a higher output bridge pickup in place. I've heard of plenty of guys using a 59B in the neck and loving it though I haven't personally tried it.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

My first Duncan was a JB. When I got my 2nd, an Invader, I just moved the JB to the neck. It wasn't long before the Invader was gone and the JB was back in the bridge.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a PGb in the neck.
        Originally posted by KBliss
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        Originally posted by trevorus
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I almost never use bridge PU's in the neck slot. I like a clean, clear neck sound.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The Suhr Aldrich neck pickup is basically a Suhr SSV bridge pickup and I've used that in a few guitars (have one on the way to me now in fact). So, I guess that would be yes for me. I also tried a Pearly Gates bridge in the neck slot. And I've tried the Hamer Monaco pickup combination in a Hamer Studio Custom. That's a Custom in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge.
            -
            Austin
            "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
              so theoretically a bridge pickup in the neck would be better if you had, say, a higher output bridge pickup in place.
              Yeah, I once ran into an ax in which they had installed Gibson pups upside down; the bridge in the neck (& neck in bridge) and it sounded great. I put them in the right place, it didn't sound the same and the owner asked me to return it as it was, ha!

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                My first Duncan was a JB. When I got my 2nd, an Invader, I just moved the JB to the neck. It wasn't long before the Invader was gone and the JB was back in the bridge.
                How did the JB in the neck sound?

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                I use a PGb in the neck.
                To mate with a high output pup that makes sence, how did it sound?

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  I almost never use bridge PU's in the neck slot. I like a clean, clear neck sound.
                  I agree, but the Custom 5 sounded nice and creamy with a JB. It sounded great clean but got a bit mushy dirty. How about using an Artie Mod (cap & resistance in series between the two bobins)? That's cheaper than making a hybrid! And were very happy with the clean creamy sound.

Comment

I used a 59b and a JB in a SG.
                    It was a few years ago but I don't recall not liking it!

Comment

One of my main guitars has a discontinued Dimarzio DP404 Virtual Vintage Solo (A5 mag, 10.85k) stacked single that was meant to be primarily a strat bridge pickup that would sound a bit P90ish and work well with 500K pots. Turns out it also works well in the neck when there's a Duncan C5 in the bridge, keeps up pretty well and sounds somewhere between a fat single and a P90 which works for me.
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I've thought about going the Dimebag route and putting a 59b in the neck with the DD in the bridge. I do really like my 59n though.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Ive used dimarzio super D's as neck pickups before and never had an issue. One of my favorite all time axes had super d's in the bridge and neck and worked just fine.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Ah yes, the stacks! I once had to put bridge SD Hot stacks (STK-S2) in middle & neck to keep up with the bridge, I cant remember if the bridge was a JB but it was certainly too hot for the stacks that say "neck".

Comment

Jazzb, Demon, JB, 59b, PGb, derp.

Comment

Working...
                              X