Hybrid screw vs slug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid screw vs slug question

I'm thinking of making a screw/screw hybrid.
    A Tone Zone and Norton double screw coil.

Would anybody care to guess what I can expect from that?

Thanks

Re: Hybrid screw vs slug question

The screw coils are of course adjustable, so you'll have more tone/coil balance shaping ability for one. I had a discussion about double screws with David from Zhangbucker, his comment was that you get a slightly more jangly tone with slightly less power from what would have been the slug coil, due to less mass if the screws, plus the fact they extend the magnetic field under the pickup as well as above.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      The screw coils are of course adjustable, so you'll have more tone/coil balance shaping ability for one. I had a discussion about double screws with David from Zhangbucker, his comment was that you get a slightly more jangly tone with slightly less power from what would have been the slug coil, due to less mass if the screws, plus the fact they extend the magnetic field under the pickup as well as above.
      That analysis of the tone difference between screw and slug is correct.
      You can get a more focused tone from screws if you cut them shorter...so they don't extend below the baseplate.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Also, if the two pickups are bridge pickups, I would expect the screw coils to be wound the same, so the final pickup wouldn't cancel the 60 cycle hum as well. That's at least what it seems like; having only made a screw/screw hybrid out of a custom and a pickup that was screw/screw to begin with, I can't say definitively whether that's actually the case.

Also, dimarzio uses these plastic spacers for their "airbucking" technology - but I imagine the effect of a wooden spacer is the same FWIW you can really fine tune the magnetic field via a combination of cut metal spacers, clipped screws, and wooden/plastic spacers.
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
          Also, if the two pickups are bridge pickups, I would expect the screw coils to be wound the same, so the final pickup wouldn't cancel the 60 cycle hum as well. .
          Ummm no... just no
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            Ummm no... just no
            Humbucker bridge pickups are wound to be hum cancelling - rw/rp as we think of it

Click image for larger version

Name:	color_codes.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	5777060

So, you have two of the same coil, if you wire the white/black the way they came out of the pickup you're using, both coils are going to be running in the same direction. reverse polarity, sure, but not reverse wound.

I get what you're saying though, you just have to flip leads of the one coil, but saying "no, just.. no" doesn't really help anybody.

It was a mental lapse on my part admittedly
            Last edited by jimijames; 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM.
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post
              I'm thinking of making a screw/screw hybrid.
              A Tone Zone and Norton double screw coil.

Would anybody care to guess what I can expect from that?

Thanks
              The OP appears to be suggesting that he's making a hybrid of two coils that both have screws.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the first reply would be the most applicable things I've seen in this thread so far.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                Ummm no... just no
                It's neither no nor yes. It depends entirely on how you wire them together.
                Generic signature line.

Comment

^, yep.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X