Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-S-S help

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of an odd bird project going on, and I need some help picking the right pieces to the puzzle.

Thus Far, my guitars specs are as follows:

Scale: 25.5" Bolt on construction
    Body: Alder with an Ash top (equal thickness as body)
    Neck: 3 piece Maple w/ walnut splines
    Fret-board: Pau Ferro

Sounds pretty standard so far right?

Now here's where it gets goofy;

I don't have a standard H-S-S route. The neck pickup route fits a tele single coil. I'm a huge fan of that smokey-breaking up tele neck sound (kinda like hendrix at a BBQ) and the strat in-between sounds (glassy quack) so I decided to go with both. My bridge route is a standard humbucker route because that's just another preference of mine.

Obviously, there is no pre-wired set I can go with, but luckily this guitar has a pickguard with a swimming pool route for the controls so I can be flexible with the electronics.

I'm thinking the JB would be the easiest go-to pickup for the bridge, or maybe a filter tron (or maybe ask the CS to do a filtertron version of the JB )

So what do I go with for the middle and neck? Is the JB even worth going for if neck and middle could be paired with a better option?

This guitar is a rhythm guitar first and a lead guitar second. It does not function as the main lead instrument (because longer scale guitars work better as rhythm instruments imo) but it can if it needs to and should be able to add variation to the bands sound (lead guitar is a les paul style guitar with a custom in the bridge).

The band is a versatile band that ranges from jazz funk up to thrashy stuff and the bass player has a sting ray (in-case you were wondering)

Thanks!!

Re: H-S-S help

You could go with the JB and SSL-2 in the neck or middle or the Classic stack plus's if you want hum canceling. You can use 250k pots all around with that set up too.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Well, the JB is much better as a 'single note' pickup - it shines best in leads. Some have called it mushy in rhythm playing, but I guess that depends on the wood/construction and the amp too.

I'd be considering the PATB 1, or maybe even that new one, the Perpetual burn for the bridge. Both will produce a tone that is different to the LP+Custom.

As for the tele neck, if you can find one without a cover that seems to be the best - more clarity and bite. Rio Grande I think do them, but Zhangbucker also have a few options without a cover - he can wind anything you like really. Also he's wound pretty much the best strat pickups I've heard (and I've gone through a LOT of different ones).

Comment

thanks all,

I want to keep the cover on the tele neck, it gives it a different look.

As far as the JB being a single note p.u goes, is there one that is similar to the JB but is meant for rhythm? the distortion possibly?

Comment

The Perpetual Burn I mentioned has some of the singing nature of the JB, but with a tighter bottom supposedly. There's a long thread and a few vids popping up now. The PATB 1 too has an open nature and doesn't mush out under gain.

Comment

Working...
          X