Simple STHR1-N Hot Rails Tele Neck Polarity Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple STHR1-N Hot Rails Tele Neck Polarity Question

For normal SD humbuckers, the slug coil is north (black/white wire pair) and the screw coil is south (red/green pair). In the neck position, the PU is wired identically but is physically reversed so the slug/north coils are the inside coils and the screw/south coils are outside coils. So when you split the pair and want to keep the hum-canceling, you need to short/split one to positive and the other to negative so you end up with one north coil and one south coil -- either the two neck-side coils or the two bridge-side coils.

THAT SAID, it seems that the STHR1-N Hot Rails Tele Neck is wired identical to a normal bridge humbucker, but is NOT physically reversed -- i.e. the North coil is closest to the neck. So to maintain hum-canceling, you still need to short/split one to positive and the other to negative like before, but the hum-canceling pairs will be the inside coil pair or the outside coil pair.

Can somebody confirm this is true and that my understanding of how the STHR1-N is wired/oriented is correct?

Thanks!

Ben

Re: Simple STHR1-N Hot Rails Tele Neck Polarity Question

Rotating the pickup has nothing to do with phase. For two split humbuckers to be hum-cancelling, you use the screw of one and the stud of the other. There are other ways to get around this, but thats the quik-'n-dirty way. (That is, the way that doesn't involve flipping the magnet.)

Comment

Re: Simple STHR1-N Hot Rails Tele Neck Polarity Question

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Rotating the pickup has nothing to do with phase.
      Correct, which is why I'm asking about polarity, not phase.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      For two split humbuckers to be hum-cancelling, you use the screw of one and the stud of the other. There are other ways to get around this, but thats the quik-'n-dirty way. (That is, the way that doesn't involve flipping the magnet.)
      Right, that's my understanding too. But the STHR1-N has neither studs nor screws.

The clarification I'm looking for is that [from a wiring standpoint] while a traditional neck humbucker is essentially a bridge humbucker rotated 180, the STHR1-N can only install one way (north coil closest to the neck), which means it's not in the typical orientation of a neck humbucker (south coil closest to the neck).
      Last edited by benvigil; 04-23-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X