What's a custom 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a custom 3?

I just traded for a Godin lgxt. Apparently it comes stock with a custom 3 in the bridge??? I googled and searched without much luck. Should I assume its a custom with an a3?
    nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Re: What's a custom 3?

Is it a duncan? Did you buy it second hand? If you answered yes to these questions the presumption would tell me it is a custom with an a3
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

nah I'm reasonably sure this has been asked here before and the conclusion was that it was an old pre-official name for the SH/TB-15 Custom 5.

Y'see, first, there was the custom (SH-5), and it was good. And the people were happy. But not all people.

Someone put an Alnico 2 into it, and it was different, but also very good. And so Seymour Duncan released it as an official model, the Custom Custom (SH-11) or the 2nd of the Custom series pickups, or the never-used-name, Custom 2 -> this name works on two levels because it is the 2nd in the series but also has an A2 magnet.

And then a UGFer was unhappy with the Custom and the Custom Custom, and decided to put an Alnico 5 in. It was nicknamed the Custom Custom Custom (defunct name) or Custom 3, but due to the confusion of putting a 3 in the name when the magnet was obviously an alnico 5, Seymour Duncan released it as the Custom 5 (SH-14). Godin was using the older version of the name.

On a somewhat related note, the Custom wind with an A3 magnet (especially roughcast) is really nice, and you should totally try it if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
        nah I'm reasonably sure this has been asked here before and the conclusion was that it was an old pre-official name for the SH/TB-15 Custom 5.

Y'see, first, there was the custom (SH-5), and it was good. And the people were happy. But not all people.

Someone put an Alnico 2 into it, and it was different, but also very good. And so Seymour Duncan released it as an official model, the Custom Custom (SH-11) or the 2nd of the Custom series pickups, or the never-used-name, Custom 2 -> this name works on two levels because it is the 2nd in the series but also has an A2 magnet.

And then a UGFer was unhappy with the Custom and the Custom Custom, and decided to put an Alnico 5 in. It was nicknamed the Custom Custom Custom (defunct name) or Custom 3, but due to the confusion of putting a 3 in the name when the magnet was obviously an alnico 5, Seymour Duncan released it as the Custom 5 (SH-14). Godin was using the older version of the name.

On a somewhat related note, the Custom wind with an A3 magnet (especially roughcast) is really nice, and you should totally try it if you can.
        ...and with that I politely retract my previous statement.
         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Interesting. I just tried a custom 5 in a totally different axe and hated it. Will be interesting to hear the difference. Thank you good sirs.
          nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Knowledge.

Hey CTN, talk to me about your Custom RCA3
            -IM

Comment

It is a wonderfully balanced pickup. A slight bit on the dark/warm side in terms of overall voicing, but it has a bit of squish/chewiness to lower notes (less so than the CC), and a bit of warmth and fatness for higher notes (brighter than a CC, not as shimmery as a C5 or ceramic...somewhat similar to the character of the C8's highs, but not as round), with a solid, present midrange. Really good pick attack so it's clear and articulate across the entire spectrum from lowest lows to highest highs. Sorta medium-ish output, 'round the same as a CC, definitely way less than a stock Custom, C8 or C5.

It is what I want to hear when I see the term "beefed up PAF". It's not a super hot PAF kinda thing like the stock custom is, but it's got a bit more muscle, more output and a bit more of a modern voicing than a proper PAF, without losing the inherent clarity and gentle soulful character that you would expect from a PAF. It cleans up really nicely, has a great raw rock voice with medium gain, and bizarrely enough, it is friggin PERFECTLY voiced for metal. The articulation and balanced EQ just work perfectly for that.

It's currently loaded in my Jolly roger cutlasscaster which is basically just a hardtail alder body/maple neck+fretboard strat. I went through every other version of the Custom that I could do (stock, C8, C5, CUOA5, C4) before settling on the RCA3. Once I got the height dialed in, I haven't touched it. It's been untouched for almost a full year now, and I have no reservations or complaints. It's just perfect for this guitar.

I really liked the C4 also, but it was lacking a bit when it came to articulation and pick attack, a nice bold midrange and ability to cut through. The RCA3 version does all that effortlessly and it SINGS beautifully for leads. Really couldn't ask for something better.
              Last edited by CTN; 04-23-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

That would make the alnico 8 custom the Custom Custom Custom Custom...or the CCCC...or the C4?

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

^ An explosive combo

Comment

It is a wonderfully balanced pickup. A slight bit on the dark/warm side in terms of overall voicing, but it has a bit of squish/chewiness to lower notes (less so than the CC), and a bit of warmth and fatness for higher notes (brighter than a CC, not as shimmery as a C5 or ceramic...somewhat similar to the character of the C8's highs, but not as round), with a solid, present midrange. Really good pick attack so it's clear and articulate across the entire spectrum from lowest lows to highest highs. Sorta medium-ish output, 'round the same as a CC, definitely way less than a stock Custom, C8 or C5.

It is what I want to hear when I see the term "beefed up PAF". It's not a super hot PAF kinda thing like the stock custom is, but it's got a bit more muscle, more output and a bit more of a modern voicing than a proper PAF, without losing the inherent clarity and gentle soulful character that you would expect from a PAF. It cleans up really nicely, has a great raw rock voice with medium gain, and bizarrely enough, it is friggin PERFECTLY voiced for metal. The articulation and balanced EQ just work perfectly for that.

It's currently loaded in my Jolly roger cutlasscaster which is basically just a hardtail alder body/maple neck+fretboard strat. I went through every other version of the Custom that I could do (stock, C8, C5, CUOA5, C4) before settling on the RCA3. Once I got the height dialed in, I haven't touched it. It's been untouched for almost a full year now, and I have no reservations or complaints. It's just perfect for this guitar.

I really liked the C4 also, but it was lacking a bit when it came to articulation and pick attack, a nice bold midrange and ability to cut through. The RCA3 version does all that effortlessly and it SINGS beautifully for leads. Really couldn't ask for something better.
                    Much obliged for the detailed account, CTN! You know, I have a roughcast A3 lying around, and several guitars with versions of the Custom in them...
                    MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Interesting PU, with the extra mids and a softer high-end.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Nice write up man, cheers. Sounds like a killer pickup.

The Custom wind is so sick, love how it loves magnets of all sorts.
                        -IM

Comment

It cleans up really nicely, has a great raw rock voice with medium gain, and bizarrely enough, it is friggin PERFECTLY voiced for metal. The articulation and balanced EQ just work perfectly for that.
                          Thats interesting.... does the Custom 3 'lose focus', so to speak, at higher gain levels? I mean turn mushy and you start not being able to hear all the notes. I'm just wondering, especially with A3 being the weakest magnet.
                          “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

Originally posted by Hairmail View Post
                            Thats interesting.... does the Custom 3 'lose focus', so to speak, at higher gain levels? I mean turn mushy and you start not being able to hear all the notes. I'm just wondering, especially with A3 being the weakest magnet.
                            Actually it's more open and airy than some of the other custom varieties. I feel like the lower output of the magnet allows for less compression of the signal. Definitely not mushy at all. It retains great note definition with chords, riffs and leads even with high gain.

Comment

clipses, for anyone who's interested. room-mic only, unfortunately, but if you want a better clip I'll probably get around to making a properly mic'd up clip in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X