Ibanez HSH RWRP Confusion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez HSH RWRP Confusion...

Hi guys, can you please clear something up for me. In an Ibanez RG with all Duncan pickups in an HSH configuration does the single coil need to be RWRP or standard? It's the normal 5 way switching like this :

Re: Ibanez HSH RWRP Confusion...

Are you looking for noise cancelation in notch position? If so then you can use the standard ssl-1 (true single coil), I have done this myself. Alternatively if you want to use a stacked (noise canceling) model then you need the RWRP option.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
      Are you looking for noise cancelation in notch position? If so then you can use the standard ssl-1 (true single coil), I have done this myself. Alternatively if you want to use a stacked (noise canceling) model then you need the RWRP option.
      Thanks Imenator.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion myself last night, I didn't want to have to de-solder / re-solder just to test but I ended up doing it anyway.

I have an Ibanez RG HSH with a Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, the single I added in the middle is an APS-2 Alnico II RW/RP Flat.

Results:

RWRP - Black wire to switch, White to ground - Positions 2 & 4 are hum canceling, but out of phase giving a very weak thin sound.

RWRP - White wire to switch, Black to ground - Positions 2 & 4 are not hum canceling, but sound is louder, fuller and more normal.

Comment

If you use the outer coils of the HBs you will get noise cancellation, however I dont know how different the tone will be on split mode.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

If you use the outer coils of the HBs you will get noise cancellation, however I dont know how different the tone will be on split mode.
          I think I'll stick with the standard way ( inner coils) and just get a standard wired single coil for the middle.

The next question now is of course which wire, white or black, goes to the switch and which to ground in this scenario to give me in phase and hum canceling with the new pickup?

Comment

HThere is a wiring diagram in SD website for hsh (2 little humbuckers and a single coil), that is what I used for this purpose. It clearly shows wire colors and use of inner coils.

Edit: here is the diagram

And here the color code for each coil
            Last edited by IMENATOR; 04-26-2014, 06:11 PM.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

HThere is a wiring diagram in SD website for hsh (2 little humbuckers and a single coil), that is what I used for this purpose. It clearly shows wire colors and use of inner coils.

Edit: here is the diagram

And here the color code for each coil
              http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=color_codes
              Thanks man, that really helps. My mistake was assuming the black wires from all three pickups would go to the switch, I didn't expect the single coil to use the white instead. But even in that diagram they don't mention if the middle pickup is RW/RP or standard.

Comment

Working...
              X