Out of phase pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of phase pickup

Its odd that Ive had the same pickups in my Explorer for a very long time and never noticed this until yesterday. (I guess its cuz I rarely play with both pickups on.) Anyhow, yesterday I was playing with both pickups on and with some volume and noticed that the pups were out of phase. I assume I probably put the magnet in incorrectly when I changed the Custom to a C8.
    please refresh my memory on how to resolve this.
    Do I:
    A) roll the magnet over top to bottom?
    B) turn the magnet around end to end? ( I think its this one.)

Just so happens Im pulling the pup to put a distortion in anyhow, but want to fix the C8 for future use.

Thank you!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Out of phase pickup

what would happen if the green wire was soldered to the lug and not the black? Im not sure thats what I did, but would that sound out of phase or just not work? thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

To your first question, most magnets are polarized end to end, so that's how you'd change it to change phase. However, looking at mags on Mojotone (as I'm planning on swapping out some ceramics I have for A5s or less), I see they have some C8s for blade pups that are polarized side to side, rather than end to end. You don't have one of those, right?

Switching a magnet end for end is how you reverse phase magnetically. Switching green and black is how you do it electrically. The question is if there is any difference? I tend to expect they're simply 2 different ways to get the exact same result. But how often is it ever that simple (in this world of "what type of screws you use on your headstock will affect your tone")?

Comment

Originally posted by houston View Post
        To your first question, most magnets are polarized end to end, so that's how you'd change it to change phase. However, looking at mags on Mojotone (as I'm planning on swapping out some ceramics I have for A5s or less), I see they have some C8s for blade pups that are polarized side to side, rather than end to end. You don't have one of those, right?

Switching a magnet end for end is how you reverse phase magnetically. Switching green and black is how you do it electrically. The question is if there is any difference? I tend to expect they're simply 2 different ways to get the exact same result. But how often is it ever that simple (in this world of "what type of screws you use on your headstock will affect your tone")?
        No, pup mags are polarized edge to edge not end to end. Usually the north edge is marked.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          No, pup mags are polarized edge to edge not end to end. Usually the north edge is marked.
          Doh! Glad somebody knows what they're talking about. I'd read elsewhere that it's end to end (but apparently not people who'd actually ever done a swap or PG mod)!

Comment

Ive never recd a magnet thats marked. at first I figured I must have the mag in wrong but as I unswired the pup, I may have had it wired wrong. The pisser is that I undid it so fast, I dont remember. But something in my head is telling me I pulled the green wire and nt the blackoff the lug.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

guess I wont know till I go to use it again. If I wire it right and its out of phase, I'll know.. just hate to have to tear it down again to flip the mag

Jol Dantzig

Comment

You can flip it any way you choose, as long as the long side that was adjacent to the screws is now alongside the slugs.

Comment

Working...
                X