stag mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stag mag

Does any one know of any clips using the stag mag pickup in the bridge split and humbucking?

Re: stag mag

I don't know of any clips, but I can tell you that I've had a love/hate relationship with this pup. When I don't have one, I want one. When I have one, I trade it for something else. Then I want it back again.

I've done this cycle three times. Right now, I don't have one, and I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      I don't know of any clips, but I can tell you that I've had a love/hate relationship with this pup. When I don't have one, I want one. When I have one, I trade it for something else. Then I want it back again.

I've done this cycle three times. Right now, I don't have one, and I want one.
      When it is in series humbucking, is there any pickup you would say its kinda close to?

Comment

Hmmm . . . tough question. The Stag Mag, in series, is "light". It's hi-fi. A lot of people hate that. Let me just say, if you're thinking of a Stag Mag, you simply have to buy one and try it. Give it a chance.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a more definitive review.

Comment

I have to say that the Stag Mag is my favourite humbucker-sized bridge pickup. It doesn't really sound that much like a standard humbucker, I'd say the tone has something in common with a Firebird pickup, though it has more bottom end and quite a lot more output.

If you want a pickup with a good, powerful split sound but also sounds more like a "normal" humbucker in series, you might prefer the JB.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah View Post
            It doesn't really sound that much like a standard humbucker . . .
            Exactly. It's a unique pup. (That's a good thing.)

Comment

What single coil aspects does this pickup maintain in humbucking mode? Any? I've been looking at getting a custom shop version made. It seems like it would be better with A5's.

Comment

They used to make a version with alnico 5 and a flat stagger just called the mag. I'd love to get one to use in the neck. I'm sure its still available whether it's custom shop only or shop floor custom I don't know.

Comment

Order the flat alnico 5 version from Seymour and you won't regret it.
                  I've had "The Mag" in the neck and the bridge used in humbucker mode. The neck spot is perfect. It's very balanced, a bit scooped, has a lot of clarity, and won't get muddy. No matter how much gain you pile on, it stays clear. These comments only pertain to the Alnico 5, flat version that is nearly impossible to find used (but the Custom Shop can replace the magnets in a staggered Stag Mag with the flat Alnico 5 magnets or you can order the rod magnets on ebay and do it yourself).
                  In the bridge, it's very bright and clear. A bit harsh, but still a solid bridge pickup.

Comment

The RioGrande Trusplit series are the same idea with much better execution. http://riograndepickups.com/scart/Pr...or+Humbuckings

They have 3 different winds for different output levels.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

This is interesting. I wonder If SD would consider re-introducing "The Mag"? I'd love to try one.

Comment

I use it currently a Mag in the neck. The strong pull of the magnets forced me to put it lower than i usually like with humbuckers. Its the kind of strong attack with those pole pieces which are quite different than with slugs or screws. Clearer and better string separation but fuller than a strat pup. I also like p90 pups with magnet pole pieces.
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          The RioGrande Trusplit series are the same idea with much better execution. http://riograndepickups.com/scart/Pr...or+Humbuckings

They have 3 different winds for different output levels.
                          That looks interesting as well. Looks like it has taller bobbins to get closer to a single coil wind.
                          Are the stag mag bobbins like a regular humbucker's?

Comment

Can you raise or lower the magnets in the StagMag?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
                              That looks interesting as well. Looks like it has taller bobbins to get closer to a single coil wind.
                              Are the stag mag bobbins like a regular humbucker's?
                              They are exactly the same dimensions as a strat single coil bobbins. Split they really do sound like their single coil counter parts. The stag mag are shorter and wider like a normal humbuckers
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X