Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB with one meg pots?

Hi guys,
    Would pairing a JB with a 1 meg pot take some of the flab and boxiness out of it?

Rationale here is 500k is brighter than 250. So 1 meg might brighten it up.

Thanks.

Re: JB with one meg pots?

It won't take anything out of it, but it will add some highs. Most folks would probably not view that as a good thing. I actually use a fair number of 1meg ohm pots. Fair warning that they can be excessively bright and not always in the way you would expect. But, pot swaps are fairly cheap.

Comment

Yep, its the absolute top end that a higher rated pot adds in. The flab is response in the bass I guess, which pot changes won't cure.

My guess is that JB might not be quite the right pickup (in stock form)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        Yep, its the absolute top end that a higher rated pot adds in. The flab is response in the bass I guess, which pot changes won't cure.

My guess is that JB might not be quite the right pickup (in stock form)
        My hope was that the increased highs would draw the ear away from the lows.

But cuts do work better than boosts.

Comment

Digging for gold in a coal mine with that idea...
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
            My hope was that the increased highs would draw the ear away from the lows.

But cuts do work better than boosts.
            Is the JB working for you other than the flabby bass??
            The Perpetual Burn might be the ticket, as it seems to have a tighter bass from the few clips posted so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
              It won't take anything out of it, but it will add some highs. Most folks would probably not view that as a good thing. I actually use a fair number of 1meg ohm pots. Fair warning that they can be excessively bright and not always in the way you would expect. But, pot swaps are fairly cheap.
              I only use 1-megs on neck HB's in LP's, to get a little more high-end. They don't chnage anything else. I can't seethem working with bridge PU's. JB's are fussier than most PU's about the woods they're in, and one of the most common complaints is the flabby low end, which tends to happen occasionally in mahogany.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

You can try it to see how you like it. But a better idea to get any lows or flub out of a pickup is tweak the amp or look at some of the EQ settings.

What guitar and amp are you using?

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

A better idea if you want to tighten up the bass is to take the screws out of the bobbin and cut them off flush to the baseplate with a dremel tool.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

flubby... boxiness? I'd answer Darthphineas about what kind of guitar or amp... something is not jiving.
                    Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Not to be that guy in this thread but I thought the JB8 had a great low end presence...

Comment

you're doing it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                          you're doing it wrong
                          You know, this is probably the best contribution you've ever made to this forum.

Comment

I've never understood the fascination with the JB. It's thick and chunky and nice for holding chords or playing "Paranoid" style 8th note riffs. I know fast stuff like "Rust in Peace," etc., was recorded with it.

My complaint is that I have to tweak it too much. Most of my guitar signals I roll off around 100 hz. With the JB I have to do at 200 hz to get a faster bottom.

Boxy means it is so thick and chunky that transients seem to hit the amp the same way every time regardless of changes on style of pick attack.

But IMO the Blackouts and EMGs kick the **** out of it for faster things. If it isn't the flubby bottom, it's the mid honk. I'm much more of a ceramic/Distortion type guy, except that's a bit harsh for standard tuning to me.

I had the JB in a lightweight, bolt on Japanese Jackson KV3--alder and maple/rosewood. I've already replaced it with an Alt. 8, which I like better, but it's too scratchy. Moving to a Full Shred next.

Having much more success with the 498t in a tune o matic mahogany Hamer Scarab as far as warm, chunky Alnico V tones.

Below is a sample of the JB that I recorded, a rough cover of Judas Priest's "Beyond the Realms of Death," unmastered. Still tweaking.

Cover of Judas Priest's "Beyond the Realms of Death" from the 1978 album "Stained Class." It is unmastered with no vocals. All instruments and programming by Aaron Rogers. Words and music by Ro

JB is on left in KV3, Variaced Plexi in Pod Farm 2.5. Right is Jackson Dinky with EMG HZ4, run through Fender Supersonic, Amplitube 3. Most of the grit you hear is the EMG. Most of the body is the JB. Solos are Guitar Rig 4 Sansamp through Bogner Uberschall cab Jackson DK2S with Distortion. Bass is a 70s Korean import lawsuit P bass with Fender 62 Reissues, Fender Silverface/GK MB15 hybrid in Amplitube 3. Drums are BFD 2.5 70s Ludwig Vistalites.

I have no doubt that it sounds fine in the right guitar. But the bass in it overwhelms this guitar.
                            Last edited by Inflames626; 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                              I've never understood the fascination with the JB. It's thick and chunky and nice for holding chords or playing "Paranoid" style 8th note riffs. I know fast stuff like "Rust in Peace," etc., was recorded with it.

My complaint is that I have to tweak it too much. Most of my guitar signals I roll off around 100 hz. With the JB I have to do at 200 hz to get a faster bottom.

Boxy means it is so thick and chunky that transients seem to hit the amp the same way every time regardless of changes on style of pick attack.

But IMO the Blackouts and EMGs kick the **** out of it for faster things. If it isn't the flubby bottom, it's the mid honk. I'm much more of a ceramic/Distortion type guy, except that's a bit harsh for standard tuning to me.

I had the JB in a lightweight, bolt on Japanese Jackson KV3--alder and maple/rosewood. I've already replaced it with an Alt. 8, which I like better, but it's too scratchy. Moving to a Full Shred next.

Having much more success with the 498t in a tune o matic mahogany Hamer Scarab as far as warm, chunky Alnico V tones.

Below is a sample of the JB that I recorded, a rough cover of Judas Priest's "Beyond the Realms of Death," unmastered. Still tweaking.

Cover of Judas Priest's "Beyond the Realms of Death" from the 1978 album "Stained Class." It is unmastered with no vocals. All instruments and programming by Aaron Rogers. Words and music by Ro

JB is on left in KV3, Variaced Plexi in Pod Farm 2.5. Right is Jackson Dinky with EMG HZ4, run through Fender Supersonic, Amplitube 3. Most of the grit you hear is the EMG. Most of the body is the JB. Solos are Guitar Rig 4 Jackson DK2S with Distortion. Bass is a 70s Korean import lawsuit P bass with Fender 62 Reissues. Drums are BFD 2.5 70s Ludwig Vistalites.

I have no doubt that it sounds fine in the right guitar. But the bass in it overwhelms this guitar.
                              Nice recording and very detailed response! Love the Vistalites!

I would say that the JB likes two things that some players do and most don't.

The JB likes for a real heavy pick attack. This tightens up the transients and gives the bass less flub.

The JB also likes an angled pick attack. The angled attack thickens up the transients while giving the body of the note more texture... this cuts down the boxiness.

This is why some pickups work for some people and a guitarist's playing style and tone goals are the most important thing.

You might even want to go '59/Custom hybrid... it's got much tighter and bold bass than a JB. No flub either.
                              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Working...
                              X