PRS 59/09 & 57/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS 59/09 & 57/08

I purchased a PRS CU24 a couple of weeks back and it came with the 57/08 pick up set. I was skeptical of the bridge because it is lower output (I think 7.8k DC) and I play a ton of hard rock and metal. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. What a wonderful pick up. Touch sensitive, sweet if you want it, rocks hard when you want it, great crunch and awesome cleans. For a low output pup, it does metal surprisingly well. (Depends on the amp though, my amps have tons of gain)

I still wanted a bit more "umph" though, so I purchased a 59/09. It is basically the 57/08 over wound a bit. (I think it's like 9.5k DC) I'm really liking this pick up as well. It is basically as advertised being a 57/08 what is over wound a bit. It loses some of the sweetness and openness, but not by a lot. The trade of is that it does hard rock and metal much better than the 57/08. It also still sounds great for just about any other style of music that you want. Great cleans, great distorted tones, very versatile.

For the neck, the 57/08 is fantastic. It may never come out of the guitar.

I'm still a loyal Duncan user of course! However, I heard a lot of great things about these PRS pick ups and they did not disappoint at all. I of course reserve the right to change my mind and swap in Duncans in the future =).

Re: PRS 59/09 & 57/08

A common misconception is that high output pickups are mandatory for modern rock styles, and that output = tone.

Comment

High output are definitely not mandatory. I do like them, and you do get tones and qualities from them that you won't from lower output pups. Ceramics also have certain qualities that are desirable. I'm not saying I won't switch back to ceramic/higher output bridge pick ups either. However, a good quality, lower output pup with a high gain amp sounds fine for metal. It's all in what type of tone and characteristics you're trying to achieve.

Specifically to the 57/08 and 59/09, they don't seem to color your tone too much. They are great sounding no doubt, but neutral too, if that makes sense. Meaning that the tone of your amp/speakers/guitar come through and are doing most of the work.

My biggest critique is that they are quite expensive to buy separately. Whether you can afford them/they are worth it to you is a personal choice. However, there are probably similar options at lower price points.
      Last edited by Jeff5; 05-06-2014, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I haven't tried the 59/09s, but I do like the HFS and McCarty pickups.
        2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
        2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
        2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I have the PRS 245 pickups in my PRS Korina, which are their take on low output PAF's, and that guitar gets massive metal crunch through my EVH 5150 III compared to my guitars with high output pickups

Comment

Working...
          X