banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stack" single coils, split...sound MORE like original single coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stack" single coils, split...sound MORE like original single coils?

Hi all,
    So I'm considering the lil 59 (Bridge), Classic Stack (Middle), and Vintage Hot Stack (Neck) to get everything from classic rock, to pure strat tones from positions 3-5, but without the hum, and a lil more output than standard single coils.

However!
    I love the SRV neck tone, I've read you can get something similar using the Vintage Hot Stack in the neck position, so that's all good.
    But, what are the Stack pickups like when split using a push-pull pot?

I wondered if they would return to TRUE single coil sound?

Re: "Stack" single coils, split...sound MORE like original single coils?

Yes, they get louder to, surprisingly.

I'd put something like a Hot Stack in the bridge instead of the Lil '59 just so it all looks the same.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      Yes, they get louder to, surprisingly.

I'd put something like a Hot Stack in the bridge instead of the Lil '59 just so it all looks the same.
      Thanks!
      Do you think they would give a bell like tone, even close to SRV in the neck?
      Hmm, would the Hot Stack sound like a lil 59? I need a warmer, hotter bridge pickup you see.

Comment

Before you bother with all that wiring, try the Vintage Hot Stack Plus in the neck in normal hum-cancelling mode. I think you'll be just fine with how it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by nullsys View Post
          Thanks!
          Hmm, would the Hot Stack sound like a lil 59? I need a warmer, hotter bridge pickup you see.
          In my experience, none of the blades will set you there.
          My preference, of those, is the Cool Rails. Try a Cool Rail in neck position (and, in middle!). Not exactly a single coil tone but, gorgeous enough.
          But, if you love SRV tone, check David Allen's Texas Flood set.
          Last edited by hermetico; 05-06-2014, 07:59 AM.
          My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
          My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

You can get a quiet, quacky, absolutely Stratty sound with the Classic Stack +, although I haven't tried the other versions.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by nullsys View Post
              Thanks!
              People's opinions vary on what pickups get you SRV tone, since he used stock or near stock pickups and pickups that are intended to get his tone are very non-stock, but a split Vintage Hot Stack would be hot and yet clear enough for aggressive SRV / Texas blues. I think the best SRV inspired pickup is the D Allen Austin Blues, they're what Texas Specials should have been.

Regarding the Hot Stack, I didn't realize the "Hot Stack" without the "Plus" was a blade style pickup, so I take that back. If you're interested in the Lil '59 for a thick, smooth distortion, you get that from super high output single coils in general, such as the SSL-4, because as the wind count gets higher, the output increases and the high frequencies diminish due to self-capacitance. It doesn't look like Seymour Duncan has a really high output stack that maintains stock appearance. The DiMarzio Virtual Solo seems to come the closest http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/stra...t/virtual-solo. I know you never said that having an all stock appearance was important, I'm pushing my own aesthetic sense a bit. All or nothing, IMO.

Comment

Had a Hot Stack in the bridge of my Soloist for a while - I never really gelled with it. It was not really hot as I remember and a little dull sounding in clean mode - its the nature of the beast in the early days of stacked pickups. However, it was that dull sound that made it work well with distortion - I'm not into that so much these days.

Had some correspondence with SD tech support about the STK-S4 (Stack Plus). Split its supposed to be in the SSL-1 ballpark. I'd look there or one of the hotter models 1st.

Comment

Something to consider is that the Stack Plus pickups are very different in design than the original stack pickups; in that they don't get hotter when you split them. Instead, when you "split" stack plus pickups, the hum cancelling just goes away. This is useful when you use the "in between" positions 2 and 4, but maybe less useful in positions 1, 3, and 5. I have an HSS strat with Classic Plus/Classic Plus/PATB-3 Blues that auto splits in positions 2 and 4, and it sounds great and hum free in all positions!

Comment

Working...
                  X