APS or SSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APS or SSL?

Looking for a vintage single sound, guys. I really like the sound of the Lace Sensor Golds and the Fender Fat 50s.

In Seymour's line, which would be better? APS or SSL?

I've thought about an APS in the neck and an SSL in the middle, similar to my EMG SA/S/81 setup (Alnico V in neck, ceramic in middle, ceramic).

Also, no hum canceling designs, please. I don't really like the sound of them.

Re: APS or SSL?

Unless your guitar is extra bright and biting then go with the SSL-1s. The A2Ps are really nice to tame excessively bright guitars though.

Comment

Re: APS or SSL?

I have SSL2 (flat pole version of the 1) neck/mid and love them - classic Stratty tones. Being A5 they're a bit more scooped, so you get that piano-like brilliance and harmonic overtones.

APS is a bit smoother and softer top end, good if you have a pretty bright guitar, as has been mentioned.

It's a matter of taste in the end. There's also the SSL52, which has A5 poles for the bass strings and A2 for the treble.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
      X