banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat w/ a Blender Knob and a Series/Parallel Switch - Can it be Done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat w/ a Blender Knob and a Series/Parallel Switch - Can it be Done?

I'm assembling the ultimate combination of wiring trickery to make my strat Uber-versatile. I've got a set of StraBro90's coming in and a 3PDT switch to tap them all. I've got a blender knob so I can get neck+bridge and all 3 simultaneously. I also have a push/push coming in and while I'd love to use it for series/parallel switching, I read somewhere that series operation is impaired when one uses a blender pot. Is this true? If so, is there any way to get around it?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Strat w/ a Blender Knob and a Series/Parallel Switch - Can it be Done?

It depends exactly how you want it. I know that a series/parallel switch working just between the bridge and neck, and the middle always in parallel with whatever else is active will definitely work. Which type of blend control are you using? Do you want the series/parallel switch to work for all three pickups? If so, you'd need more than a DPDT; more like a 4PDT.

Comment

I'd be fine with just the middle pickup being in series with the bridge. I'm using a no-load for the blend pot.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

That can be done. I'm drawing up a diagram now.

Comment

Here you go:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	filename-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	5777436

Comment

Thanks dude! Of course, I just realized that OOP is also a possibility, and in P90 mode it might sound awesome. I guess I will have some experimenting to do...
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

The phase switching is pretty straightforward on this circuit if you decide to add it, more so if you reverse the phase of the neck pickup. Enjoy!

Comment

Look into the Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch; it's the ultimate in Strat versatility, only costs $30 and can be installed in 30 minutes. It can also be easily removed, leaving the guitar in stock form.

The Chromacaster is a six position ROTARY switch that expands the potential pickup combinations available in your Stratocaster or other "S-type" guitar. It installs where one of your old tone controls was. The Chromacaster does NOT replace your 5-way pickup selector switch - your 5-way still works just like it always did. The Chromacaster works in conjunction WITH the 5-way to give you new combinations. You lose a tone control, but gain a lot of tones!

The traditional Strat 5-way selector gives you only 5 of the seven parallel combinations possible, and no series or out-of-phase connections. With the Chromacaster , you can get all seven parallel combinations, PLUS two series settings with variations, PLUS two out-of-phase settings with variations, for a total of SIXTEEN different pickup combinations.

That's a lot of tones!

BEST OF ALL, NO NEW HOLES!

Just put your old tone knob back on the Chromacaster switch, and your Strat looks completely stock!

Comment

Working...
                X