Question regarding DC Resistance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding DC Resistance...

I currently have a set of the Seymour Duncan Joe Bonamassa Signature pickups in my Les Paul. Each set comes with the readings written on the box. I never bothered to check the numbers prior to installation.
    Today I checked the DC resistance on each pickup (multiple times) and the numbers do not jive with those on the box.
    These are installed and I measured by removing the back cover and with the volume pots on ten.

Factory readings:

Neck - 7.67
    Bridge - 8.11

My readings:

Neck - 7.31
    Bridge - 7.67

Is this normal or should I contact SD and discuss?
    I know the obvious question is if it sounds good why worry? I simply want to know if I got what I paid for or if there is a possible issue here.

Re: Question regarding DC Resistance...

Temperature and meter calibration will effect readings. Its nothing to worry about unless they are hugely off, what you are seeing is normal.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

All of them vary slightly, nothing to worry about. Different readers also sometimes have different results. If everything sounds right then you're golden.

Comment

and i ve had problems in getting correct reading, when the pickups are already wired into the electronics of the guitar, specially in les paul type electronics. i think the pots some how load the pickups throwing the reading off. on a strat type wiring u can always get the correct reading by deselecting pickup to be measured, and checking on the switch. (cos the pots are wired after the switch)

Comment

Originally posted by koshikas View Post
          and i ve had problems in getting correct reading, when the pickups are already wired into the electronics of the guitar, specially in les paul type electronics. i think the pots some how load the pickups throwing the reading off. on a strat type wiring u can always get the correct reading by deselecting pickup to be measured, and checking on the switch. (cos the pots are wired after the switch)
          +1. You can never get a 100% accurate reading this way. It will always be under.

Comment

thanks gents.

Comment

If you want to do a little science experiment. Get a reading of a pickup. Put the pickup in the freezer for 15 minutes or so. Take an ohm reading. Notice how much the ohm reading dropped. Science complete!
              1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Working...
              X