banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Custom - Orientation Question - screw poles toward the neck....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom - Orientation Question - screw poles toward the neck....

I have a Custom Custom trembucker in a swamp ash Carvin Bolt Plus guitar with Floyd Rose tremolo.
    This guitar would sound bright if I used bass strings........

The CC sounds freaking amazing, but is still a bit too bright in this guitar.
    I know I could alter the cap or the pots, but I was wondering if turning the CC 180 degrees would give me more bass tones?
    I've done this with a lot of DiMarzio humbuckers. It works really well with some, not at all with others.

I don't really care if the logo is upside down, just want more bass. My kids wear their shirts backwards all the time, doesn't bother them, the logo won't bother me.

What do you guys think?

Re: Custom Custom - Orientation Question - screw poles toward the neck....

Won't know til you try. I've done this with dozens of pickups, and like you said, it works with some and doesn't with others. I use to use both the 59 pickups in their slot backwards.

Comment

What tonal differences did you notice with the 59's?

Comment

Originally posted by Monsta-Tone View Post
        What tonal differences did you notice with the 59's?
        I'm, very interested in this too,since I just mounted a 59 with opposite orientation since the wire wasn't long enough to do otherwise....any improvements?

Comment

Simply turning the pickup 180deg will do almost nothing. The coils are wound exactly the same between screw and slug, the only difference being a slight mass differential between screw and slug, and the screws pushing some of the magnetic field downward.

If you have the screw raised or lowered, then you can tweak the magnetic field, and then you can change the way the pickup sounds that way - adding some bite or body to what is already there.

If the pickup is lacking in bass fullstop, then either a magnet swap or a pickup swap is your best chance.

Comment

CC too bright ?!?!?!?!?!

Don't get that often. My suggestions:

#1 Turn the tone knob down a touch

#2 Reduce treble at amp

#3 Lower treble poles/side of pup

#4 Get rid of guitar. It is too bright
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

What value pots your have in there?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
              Nope...

Comment

Graphtech saddles.

Comment

Custom Custom - Orientation Question - screw poles toward the neck....

The reason why some Dimarzio pickups work well (or in fact better) turned around is that they use (and have patented the use of) unmatched coils on quite a lot of their pickups. One coil is maybe heavily underwound, and then it makes an obvious difference in what direction it is mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by madsschaarup; 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by madsschaarup View Post
                    The reason why some Dimarzio pickups work well (or in fact better) turned around is that they use (and have patented the use of) unmatched coils on quite a lot of their pickups. One coil is maybe heavily underwound, and then it makes an obvious difference in what direction it is mounted.

Actually thats not exactly true. Dimarzios dual resonance patent calls for 2 coils wound to the SAME number of turns BUT using different gauges of wire. So yes its true that flipping them around changes the tone a bit but they arent heavily underwound
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      Actually thats not exactly true. Dimarzios dual resonance patent calls for 2 coils wound to the SAME number of turns BUT using different gauges of wire. So yes its true that flipping them around changes the tone a bit but they arent heavily underwound
                      Oh, I thought so, but thanks anyway for further clearance

Comment

I guess you could say that the signal coming from both is as if one coil was underwound.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                          Graphtech saddles.
                          Hadn't thought of that! This may be just the trick.....
                          Or, I could always get a mahogany or alder body from Warmoth......

Comment

Working...
                          X