Single Coils and Humbucker In Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coils and Humbucker In Strat?

I currently a USA strat with stock pickups. I'm going to be putting SD Antiquity surfers in the neck and middle positions but I'm not sure about the bridge position. I'm thinking of putting a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge to keep it versatile. Will there be significant volume difference with a humbucker in the bridge? If so, is there any way to compensate for it? What are some good options for more vintage sounding humbucker for my SSS strat? Thanks in advance!

Re: Single Coils and Humbucker In Strat?

If you put in a hot rails or the like it will probably over power the singles. But a cool rails, Lil59, Lil Screamin Demon....will probably be fine.

Lil59, and Lil Screamin Demon are probably your best bet for a little humbucker with a more vintage vibe. Of course playing with pickup heights and the pole pieces allows for adjustment.

Comment

No, even the hot rails isn't louder. A Strat pickup is scooped and lacks volume in the mids, so you can fall into a hole when switching from a mid-driven pickup. But pure volume as such is the same for most pickups in most guitars. Exceptions apply, most A8 things are louder.

Comment

The Lil '59 and Screamin' Demon bridge is definitely louder than the Ant II neck/middle, I have both and just checked. Not by a little, either. The single coil sized humbuckers sound almost twice as loud.

I've decided that I'm not really a fan of HSS. Not only do I not dig the look, but it makes for a guitar with less of an identity. I don't even think it's really more versatile, unless you consider a neck humbucker or bridge single coil to be less than usable, which I wouldn't agree is true. I prefer to select from an SSS or an HH and use either one for all they're worth.

Since you're getting Ant II anyway, just get the full Ant II set with the custom hot bridge http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which would remedy a weak sounding bridge and get you closer to the full HB sound while not entirely abandoning single coil tone.

Comment

I use an HSS with auto split arrangement on my number 1, with good results. I like it better than SSS. However, I use a full size humbucker instead of a little humbucker. I use a vintage output full size humbucker and it doesn't over power the singles in the neck and middle. A current USA strat will be routed to accept a full sized humbucker if you don't mind the look. But I think you can get a little humbucker to work okay. Some people like the humbucker in HSS to have a jump in output since it will be used mostly for leads and power chords.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I want the bridge to be a little hotter than the rest for higher gain stuff. I have a Les Paul so I may just stick with SSS on my Strat. I considered the Surfer bridge but after looking around I think I'm set on the SSL-5 for the bridge. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
              The Lil '59 and Screamin' Demon bridge is definitely louder than the Ant II neck/middle, I have both and just checked. Not by a little, either. The single coil sized humbuckers sound almost twice as loud.
              How did you determine that and what criteria do you use to say "twice"?

Comment

Resistance does not equal output. A 16 or 17K JB isn't any more loud than an 8K '59.

The Custom Surf bridge is designed to give you some more meat and sustain in the bridge for more versatility. The Custom Surf Bridge is a very good bridge pickup IMHO.

With proper wiring and an aluminum shield... I get very little noise from the surf set... and you can always get hum canceling in positions 2 & 4.
                Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  How did you determine that and what criteria do you use to say "twice"?
                  I have a Strat with a set of Ant IIs, another with Lil Screamin Demons, and another with Lil Pearly Gates, which are nearly the same as Lil 59's (should be a tad weaker since they have an A5 instead of a ceramic bar). I plugged in each guitar and listened to the difference in perceived output. In full series humbucking mode, the single coil sized humbuckers are a lot louder than the Ant IIs. Twice as loud to my ears, but that's subjective. This is squeaky clean, too. Once gain is added, the signal hits the ceiling and they become more alike. My Lil Pearl Gates guitar is set up to split the coils, the one with Lil Screamin Demons is set to do series/parallel, in split/parallel the output then drops below the Ant IIs. My Ant II set includes the custom hot bridge, and it's still dwarfed by the single coil humbuckers.

On a side note, I did put a left over Lil '59 in the bridge position of a friend's MIM Strat, and kept the stock ceramics in the neck and middle, and that actually blended pretty well since those ceramics are so much hotter and louder than vintage-ish alnico pickups.
                  Last edited by DreX; 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X