Pickup help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup help

Hi there. First time poster here Anyway, i got a question, i really appreciate if anyone could help I am buying a discontinued and on sale Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall. Its specs are:

Body mahogany
    Neck Hard maple, Hand-set,
    Scale 24.75”
    Fingerboard rosewood with inlay on 12th fret
    Fingerboard Radius 12”
    Nut Width 1.68”
    Pickups EMG HZ-4, HZ-4A
    Controls Neck Volume, Neck Tone, Bridge Volume, Bridge Tone
    Tailpiece Floyd Rose Special
    Machine Heads Grover®

As you can see, quite a good guitar spec wise. However, i'd like to switch the pickup to something else. I already have an ESP LTD V300 fitted with EMG 85 on the bridge and 81 on the neck, so something else non-EMG would be nice. I mainly play metal, prefer my tone to have a beefy but tight low end, throaty mid and soaring high (basically, just do everything well enough) but also it need to be articulate, versatile and can clean up when not in hi gain mode. Currently i have two option, either buy a Bill Lawrence L500XL as a bridge and maybe a 59 or a JB on the neck (the cheap option) or i could buy a set of Black Winter (the more expensive option). What should i choose? Is there any other set or pick up i should look at instead?

Thanks

Re: Pickup help

Nice mids, highs, articulation, gain... basically, you want a Full Shred set?
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
      Nice mids, highs, articulation, gain... basically, you want a Full Shred set?
      I am unimpressed from what i've heard with the Full Shred, compare to Black Winter, for example. But maybe i should take a look at them again. Thanks

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/keith.merrow1http://www.keithmerrow.comThis is like the "Nyancat" of guitar videos. Haha, sorry for the repetition. I'm just trying t...

While the scale length is indeed different, this body wood is the same. This will give you and idea of what different pickups sound. The problem is "metal" is too wide a genre to generalize. There's power metal, neoclassical metal, NWOBHM, glam, thrash, speed, doom, sludge, stoner, death, black, and various variants and crossover nonsense.
        Last edited by Archer250; 05-13-2014, 09:32 AM.
        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I say go ahead with that L500. I'm referring to the Bill and Becky version just to clarify.
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

While the scale length is indeed different, this body wood is the same. This will give you and idea of what different pickups sound. The problem is "metal" is too wide a genre to generalize. There's power metal, neoclassical metal, NWOBHM, glam, thrash, speed, doom, sludge, stoner, death, black, and various variants and crossover nonsense.
            Ah, my genres are thrash, death, black, deathcore and groove. And sometimes i like to try various other genre hence the need to be able to play clean and articulate

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
            I say go ahead with that L500. I'm referring to the Bill and Becky version just to clarify.
            Any neck pickup you'd recommend with that?

Comment

Either a L500R or the L90
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Doh View Post
                Any neck pickup you'd recommend with that?
                L500R

I would go with the black winter myself as an unashamed fanboy of that pickup. But the L500 set works well together too.

Comment

Ah thanks. So it is either the Bill Lawrence set or the Black Winter set. Anyone have both? How's the Black Winter stack up against Bill Lawrence's ?

Comment

I have both. I like the Black Winter better. I can't exactly quantify why. The BW set seems to just be more enjoyable for me to play. You will not go wrong with either, but IME, the Wilde l500xl can be picky. I also despise the BLUSA version. It sounds very hollow and thin comparatively.

Comment

The BW has adjustable pole pieces, and that's why I'd go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
                        I have both. I like the Black Winter better. I can't exactly quantify why. The BW set seems to just be more enjoyable for me to play. You will not go wrong with either, but IME, the Wilde l500xl can be picky. I also despise the BLUSA version. It sounds very hollow and thin comparatively.
                        From my research the BL is very sensitive to playing and woods and such so it can be a pain in the ass if the guitar is not good or the playing is not tight then it can be a real *****. I am still a sort if beginner so idk if i can handle it lol. But it is a powerful pickup though (and cheap, too).

As for the BW, does it have a signature "voicing"? While it does seem to be even across, it sounded like its sound is purposely saturated in the style of black metal.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes a good-sounding set requires a good-sounding player. This is why I use a JB/Jazz set: to improve my dynamics and technique.

Comment

Hmm, decision. I am based in Australia, so i got really strangled by price. Over here a set of Black Winter is 250+ dollars in Ebay Australia, which compare to the 179 US dollars in Amazon even taking the currency into account is nothing short of robbery. While with the Bill Lawrence Wilde L500XL and L500R only cost 120 US dollars (not taking into account shipping) which is about 127 Australian dollars. Hmm. For the best bang for the buck factor, would you guys choose the L500 set over the BW set? That's the choice i am learning at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Doh View Post
                              Hmm, decision. I am based in Australia, so i got really strangled by price. Over here a set of Black Winter is 250+ dollars in Ebay Australia, which compare to the 179 US dollars in Amazon even taking the currency into account is nothing short of robbery. While with the Bill Lawrence Wilde L500XL and L500R only cost 120 US dollars (not taking into account shipping) which is about 127 Australian dollars. Hmm. For the best bang for the buck factor, would you guys choose the L500 set over the BW set? That's the choice i am learning at.
                              250+ vs 120? No brainer.

Comment

Working...
                              X