Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with wiring please.

Hi everyone,

I am rewiring my Strat-type guitar with new additions and I'm pretty clueless on how to do it at the moment. I've tried looking for diagrams on this site and others and haven't found one that is the same as mine.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
    H-S-H, 1 Shadow Kill Pot Volume, 2 Push/Pull Tones with Series/Parallel, 5-way switch

Here is the manual for the Shadow Kill Pot:
    http://www.shadow-electronics.com/do...ernational.pdf

The tone pot next to the volume pot should affect the tone of the neck pickup and should put the neck humbucker in parallel mode when pulled.

The second tone pot should affect both middle and bridge pickups and should put the bridge humbucker in parallel mode when pulled.

If anyone could help me by giving me some instructions or possibly making a diagram I would be very grateful. Thanks!
    Last edited by finndave; 05-15-2014, 05:39 AM.

Re: Need help with wiring please.

It's one thing to say that you've tried figuring it out and hit a stumbling block at some point, but it's another to ask for a wholly drawn diagram, especially when it's you who wants the exotic wiring. What you're asking for is pretty easy, you just have to combine ideas from several diagrams.

For the series/parallel, you just put this between the pickup and the selector, this is the bottom half of a push/pull pot.

To make the tone pots apply to different pickups, you just chance which positions they connect to on the selector switch. As for the Shadow Kill pot, don't know, don't want to know. Just put that off until the end, it might become self evident if you can figure out everything else.

If you don't already have one, get an audible continuity tester (better yet a multi-meter with one built in), and that will allow you to easily discover which metal nodes connect to which when you move the selector or lift up on the push pull pot.

Give it a try, and if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer, and others are more likely to answer as well.

Comment

This is actually pretty easy. Wire up both push-pulls like DreX shows above, except, do it upside down. Red and white still connect to the middle lugs, but black and green go to the top lugs and the gray jumper goes on the bottom lugs. Now, wire up your "kill" volume and tones like any standard Strat, but with this slight 5-way mod: (Install the red jumper.)

finndave-1.jpg

Remember, your neck and bridge are HB'ers. That drawing is just for the switch and pot layout. Your neck and bridge pickups will go first to eachs' own push-pull pot. Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	finndave-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	5777541

Remember, as DreX shows above, the black wire is from your pickup, but also goes back to the 5-way switch. And the green wire, from the pickup, also goes to ground.

Lastly, the two terminals on the bottom of the kill-pot simply go to hot and ground on the output jack. Doesn't matter which goes where. Pushing the kill-pot will now short out the output.

Make sense?

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
        It's one thing to say that you've tried figuring it out and hit a stumbling block at some point, but it's another to ask for a wholly drawn diagram, especially when it's you who wants the exotic wiring. What you're asking for is pretty easy, you just have to combine ideas from several diagrams.
        I apologise. I didn't mean to sound rude. Probably what I should have asked was if people could point me to the different diagrams I need to combine.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help! I think I have a multi-meter lying around somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Make sense?

Artie
        Wow, thanks for your clear and concise instructions. I think I've got a handle on what to do now but I have a couple of questions:

Does the output jack have any other wires going to it other than the two from the bottom of the kill-pot?

Should I solder the grounds to the bottom of the push/pull switches on the pots or try and solder them to the side of the pot casing?

Thanks again!
        Last edited by finndave; 05-16-2014, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by finndave View Post
          Wow, thanks for your clear and concise instructions.
          You're welcome. This is funny . . . you edited your post at the exact moment I hit "reply" to answer your questions. I was trying to figure out where the "cap" question went.

Anyway . . .

Originally posted by finndave
          I think I've got a handle on what to do now but I have a couple of questions:

Does the output jack have any other wires going to it other than the two from the bottom of the kill-pot?
          Yes. You wire it up exactly as normal, as in that diagram. You then add two additional wires to go to the kill-switch.

Originally posted by finndave
          Should I solder the grounds to the bottom of the push/pull switches on the pots or try and solder them to the side of the pot casing?
          Your choice, but most push-pulls have a little "grounding" tab on the switch itself, thats designed to be soldered to. If it's there, use that. Personally, I hate to solder to the side of a pot. It really wasn't designed for that. Pro's handle doing it pretty well, but you simply have to check forum posts from the last week or two to see novice solder's who have toasted a pot.

I prefer to use these: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...witches-4.html

Btw, as to your "cap" question . . . I've seen people do it both ways: one shared cap, or two individual caps. The 2-cap method lets you tailor the cap size to the pickup.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
            So which is it? Is he asking for "exotic wiring" or is it "pretty easy?"

Dude, this is the Seymour Duncan Pickup Lounge. People come in here all the time to ask for wiring help of all kinds. His request was not out of the ordinary. If you don't want to help him, then don't. No need to give a partial, incorrect answer after you bite his head off.
            Originally posted by DreX
            Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
            The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
            There's no substance to anything I have posted.
            Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
            I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Working...
            X