• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring diagram problem

Hi, all. I hope a wiring guru can help!

I'm using this diagram:

STK-S2 (original Hot Stack)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/...501015-105.pdf

I am using the second part where I have a 5-way Super Switch to wire it so that positions 2 and 4 give a coil split yet retain the hum canceling property just as it shows in the diagram.

The only difference is that instead of 3 Hot Stacks, I have a Little '59 in the bridge. I am following the instructions exactly and have triple checked my wiring. The Little '59 has the exact same instructions for wiring 3 Little '59s together as the Hot Stack instructions does for 3 Hot Stacks together.
    IMO......it should work even if I am substituting the Little '59 in the bridge instead of the Hot Stack since all the pickups have 4 conductor wiring.

The problem is.....when I have the switch in the last position which is supposed to be bridge pickup only, the middle pickup is also on. All of the other positions are correct.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
    Guitars: 2010 Fender Am./Mex. Stratocaster - Duncan Alnico II Pro (N,M) - Duncan SSL-6 (Bridge)
    1980 Gibson LP Std. - Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary humbuckers.
    1990 Fender Am. Std. Tele - Duncan Quarter Pounders
    Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Wild Card - Duncan Classic Stack (N,M) - DiMarzio Mo'Joe (Bridge)
    1982 B.C. Rich Mockingbird Supreme - : Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary(N), Duncan Custom(B)
    Amps: Mesa Mark V, Rivera Fandango, Marshall 1965 JTM-45, Modded Valve Juniors

Re: Wiring diagram problem

Could there be a short in the switch?

Other than that, I got nothing.
    If you can't operate a soldering iron, stick to acoustic.

Comment

That has crossed my mind. It has been used before and I pulled it out of a box making sure the jumper cables matched the diagram.

I thought maybe somebody had a brilliant reason why a different 4 conductor Duncan would not work first.
      Guitars: 2010 Fender Am./Mex. Stratocaster - Duncan Alnico II Pro (N,M) - Duncan SSL-6 (Bridge)
      Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Wild Card - Duncan Classic Stack (N,M) - DiMarzio Mo'Joe (Bridge)
      1982 B.C. Rich Mockingbird Supreme - : Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary(N), Duncan Custom(B)

Comment

Do you have a meter? (If not, get one. Their cheap.)

If so, measure "ohms" between the the bridge hot lead and the middle hot lead. (Should be where the black wires of each pickup connect to the superswitch.) Move the switch through all of its positions. If the meter remains close to zero ohms, (<10), those two wires are shorted somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Do you have a meter? (If not, get one. Their cheap.)

If so, measure "ohms" between the the bridge hot lead and the middle hot lead. (Should be where the black wires of each pickup connect to the superswitch.) Move the switch through all of its positions. If the meter remains close to zero ohms, (<10), those two wires are shorted somewhere.

I will try that. If it fails (I finally found my NEW Stewmac Superswitch), I'll use the new switch.

Thanks, Artie! (and thqm3, too!)
          Carl

Comment

But check the switch closely first. It would be a shame to swap the whole switch only to have a small blob of solder shorting some contacts.

Comment

Working...
            X