Phat Cat or Jazz neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat or Jazz neck?

I'm putting together a new project. I'm getting a bullet telecaster with HH route. It has a basswood body and a rosewood fretboard. It will probably stay in C tuning and I'll playing rude rock/blues like Queens of the Stone Age. I'm doing the Custom in the bridge and now I'm picking a neck. I need something warm that cleans up well but can be overdriven without melting into sludge. I've narrowed it down to the Jazz Neck or a Phat Cat. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Re: Phat Cat or Jazz neck?

Screamin Demon. Now you can do some more "narrowing".

The Demon is just about the best neck pup you can get for what you're after.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Phat Cat!

Comment

Of the two, I would go with the Jazz but the Demon is not a bad choice either.

Comment

The SD is 20$ more than the jazz, is it really that good? That's almost what I'm paying for the guitar.

Comment

I payed about $30 for a gentley used SD, if that helps.
            -IM

Comment

Originally posted by TNTales View Post
              The SD is 20$ more than the jazz, is it really that good? That's almost what I'm paying for the guitar.
              Look at it this way, is it worth laying out all this money and jumping through all these hoops to not get the sound you were after, just because you didn't want to pay $20 more?

I have no idea on the pickups, but I just thought that what you were saying sounded kind of silly to me. Like running a marathon and dropping out in the last 100 ft.

Comment

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
                Look at it this way, is it worth laying out all this money and jumping through all these hoops to not get the sound you were after, just because you didn't want to pay $20 more?

I have no idea on the pickups, but I just thought that what you were saying sounded kind of silly to me. Like running a marathon and dropping out in the last 100 ft.
                Fair enough, but I think he wants more of an opinion as to why the SD would be better than the Jazz.

Decent advice, but since you don't know anything about either pickup, your opinion is not very valid.

The SD is better than the Jazz because it's $20 more? Not exactly.
                -IM

Comment

Yeah, that was basically the question, as I was looking at some GFS pickups as well. I know the sound I want, I just have to find an example of it. I want to be able to play both "3s and 7s" and "Make It Wit Chu" on the same guitar.

I want to be able to strum this opening and then add some overdrive and play the little riff. "Make It Wit Chu"

Same with this one, the chugging rhythm and the angular fizz. "3s & 7s" (NSFW)

Comment

Originally posted by TNTales View Post
                    Yeah, that was basically the question, as I was looking at some GFS pickups as well. I know the sound I want, I just have to find an example of it. I want to be able to play both "3s and 7s" and "Make It Wit Chu" on the same guitar.

I want to be able to strum this opening and then add some overdrive and play the little riff. "Make It Wit Chu"

Same with this one, the chugging rhythm and the angular fizz. "3s & 7s" (NSFW)

Queens rule. If you already haven't, check out Truckfighters. Josh Homme loves them. Said something like, "The best to band to exist.. "
                    -IM

Comment

I've narrowed it down to a couple of options for the guitar, this may give you a better idea of what I'm working with.

Rondo SX Liquid (Alder body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Board): http://www.rondomusic.com/liquidfrnhstop1.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	liquidfrnhstop3ts1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5777581

Squier Bullet HS (Basswood body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Board): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Name:	DV016_Jpg_Large_1372088762580_A.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	5777582

Squier 51 (Basswood Body, Maple Neck and Board): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...fied-squier-51

Name:	190255218117-1.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	5777583

The bullet is routed for HH. The 51 would get a Custom Custom and then an SC (not sure which yet).

Comment

Phat cat and jazz are quite different from each other. Phat cat is very warm and spongy. Definitely has potential to turn muddy.
                        nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

I think you'd like Custom Custom - Phat Cat set for QOTSA stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
                            Fair enough, but I think he wants more of an opinion as to why the SD would be better than the Jazz.

Decent advice, but since you don't know anything about either pickup, your opinion is not very valid.

The SD is better than the Jazz because it's $20 more? Not exactly.
                            I wasn't saying the SD was better, GuitarDoc was. The point the op made was that it was $20 more and was it 'that much better', implying, was it worth the extra $20, because the pickups were approaching the price of the guitar itself. I was merely saying that, if the pickup was indeed what he was looking for, to worry at that point about 20 bucks seemed silly. I was not implying that the SD would be better, and I believe I made the point that I didn't know. I apologize if the point I was trying to make was unclear.

Comment

Have you actually played any of the Bullets yet? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X