Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil splitting on a tone pot.

Hi,

I'm sorry, this has probably been asked and answered a gazillion times but i can't find a proper diagram anywhere. I'll be putting a Lil' Screaming Demon in my strat and I'd like to have the coil splitting on the rear tone pot instead of the volume pot, cause I'm afraid I'd end up accidentally disengaging the coil all the time split by pressing on the trem bar. Can someone point me to a wiring diagram, or at least give me the general idea of which wire goes where? It's not my first wiring job and I know my way with the soldering iron, but I've never wired a coil split before... Thanks a lot for any advice and apologies for my broken english

Re: Coil splitting on a tone pot.

Use the same diagram as for volume pot splitting, but just connect the wires attached to the "boxy" bit of the boxy bit on the tone pot.

That boxy bit I am referring too is where the contacts for the the push pull switch are and are totally independant of the pot function.
    Ibanez RG7620 and RG1527 w/ SD Nazgūl/Sentient pickups.
    Ibanez Jem 555 x2 (White Black)
    Epiphone Custom Alpine White
    Epiphone LP standard with SD Alnico Slash Pickup
    Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom
    PRS SE Paul Allender
    Peavey 5150II

Www.soundcloud.com/fyregods singer and drummer wanted.

Comment

You don't need a special wiring diagram; both circuits are electronically identical. It's just that the way you want to do it, the switch is located under the tone pot instead of under the volume pot.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys, I get it now. I thought it'll be like this as the backs of all the pots are connected, but I thought I'd better ask. You know, measure twice, cut once
        Last edited by squrl; 05-19-2014, 02:12 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Makes sense, guitar wiring does some weird stuff, a lot of it makes no sense, defies the underlying science and a lot of it cant be measured.
          Ibanez RG7620 and RG1527 w/ SD Nazgūl/Sentient pickups.
          Ibanez Jem 555 x2 (White Black)
          Epiphone Custom Alpine White
          Epiphone LP standard with SD Alnico Slash Pickup
          Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom
          PRS SE Paul Allender
          Peavey 5150II

Www.soundcloud.com/fyregods singer and drummer wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkensei View Post
            Makes sense, guitar wiring does some weird stuff, a lot of it makes no sense, defies the underlying science and a lot of it cant be measured.
            Uh, no. It all makes perfect sense if you understand electronics.

If it makes no sense to you it is only because you don't know the physics involved. It absolutely doesn't "defy the underlying science"...it is supported BY the underlying science!
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by squrl View Post
              Thanks guys, I get it now. I thought it'll be like this as the backs of all the pots are connected, but I thought I'd better ask. You know, measure twice, cut once
              Just because the switch is under the tone pot instead of the volume pot doesn't mean you wire it any differently. Only the physical location of the switch changes, not the electrical configuration.

The backs of the pots are connected to achieve continuous grounding of all components and has nothing more to do with the circuit than this (electrical continuity and reduction of hum).
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkensei View Post
                This is one of the most straight-out ignorant things I have ever seen posted on this forum.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I got it now but if somebody would be kind enough to check the diagram I've drawn if it makes sense, I'd appreciate it muchly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	5777590
                  (original png image in case the one attached got too compressed)

The rear tone should be common for bridge and middle, switch splits bridge HB. The other tone pot is dedicated to the neck pup, switch should turn on neck pickup so bridge + neck & all 3 pickups together configurations are possible. Sorry the diagram is so messy, first time working with Inkscape
                  Last edited by squrl; 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

by the Thread title, I thought the OP was asking to make a "Spin-a-Split" out of his tone pot?

Comment

Sorry, only now I've noticed that I didn't mention that I'll be wiring it with a regular push/pull pot. Silly me.

Comment

Working...
                      X