banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How different are the FS-1 and the SSL-5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How different are the FS-1 and the SSL-5?

It's a question I've been asking myself this for a while and there doesn't seem to be much online about this so I thought I'd go ask the question here. For those who have used both, is it a massive difference or a more subtle shifting of the EQ?
    “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Re: How different are the FS-1 and the SSL-5?

I wouldn't put too much faith in the simple statistics that both SD and Dimarzio publish for either pickups. B/M/T graphics are like asking someone if a piece of food is spicy or not and is based on individual perception.

Comment

I have used both (though not for a while now) and the difference seemed pretty subtle to me - very similar! Both do a great job of beefing up a Strat bridge position while retaining a single coil vibe.

Comment

It makes sense that they'd be similar, considering that both were more or less designed for David Gilmour, if memory serves.
        Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
        I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
        Andrew - None

Comment

The FS-1 wasn't, I'm pretty sure David was just using them, and he went to Seymour Duncan later to try and get something different, although not too different it seems. They're both very much in the "beefy strat pickup" realm.
          “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

Ido not have nearly the EQ probs with the FS1 and vintage middle/necks, as with the SSL5, where I find I can never get the EQ right for the vintage singles and thessl5...one always sounds alot better than the others. FS1 just doesnt seem so overwound and midrangey.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
            X