banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Need Help ASAP* with installing Antiquity II surf pickups in American Deluxe Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Need Help ASAP* with installing Antiquity II surf pickups in American Deluxe Strat

I've looked all over and I just can't seem to find an answer so I hope someone on the forum might be able to help me out. I have a 2011 Fender american deluxe stratocaster that of course comes with the S-1 Switch and the super 5-way switch all hooked up to the N3's. My question is since It has these "special parts"(S-1 Switch and the super 5-way switch) and I would like these to still be functional how would I go about replacing the N3's with new Antiquity II Surf pickup's. Are there any extra steps Required when changing them out to keep the S-1 switch and the super 5-way switch functional. I would love to hear from someone that knows anything about this cause I have all the parts I need but until I know for sure i'm not going to attempt changing these out and risk messing something up.

Re: *Need Help ASAP* with installing Antiquity II surf pickups in American Deluxe Str

Just make note of where the old pickup's red wires went, draw a little picture of it, or even take a pic with your phone, then take them all out, install the SD Ant IIs , have the black cloth wires all go to the back of a pot (grounded) and have the orange cloth wires go to the corresponding locations where the N3's red wires had went.

Comment

Re: *Need Help ASAP* with installing Antiquity II surf pickups in American Deluxe Str

And if you have phase issues just swap where the wires go to.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        And if you have phase issues just swap where the wires go to.
        OK so if I have issues which wires should I switch???

Comment

Originally posted by Slightexpert View Post
          I've looked all over and I just can't seem to find an answer so I hope someone on the forum might be able to help me out. I have a 2011 Fender american deluxe stratocaster that of course comes with the S-1 Switch and the super 5-way switch all hooked up to the N3's. My question is since It has these "special parts"(S-1 Switch and the super 5-way switch) and I would like these to still be functional how would I go about replacing the N3's with new Antiquity II Surf pickup's. Are there any extra steps Required when changing them out to keep the S-1 switch and the super 5-way switch functional. I would love to hear from someone that knows anything about this cause I have all the parts I need but until I know for sure i'm not going to attempt changing these out and risk messing something up.
          OK so I have an update I called fender to get a wiring diagram for a 2011 American Deluxe Strat V-neck. So this helps a bunch but I wanted to add to my previous post that the middle pickup is RW/RP so do I wire this one up differently than the others?

Comment

if you wire it as Drex said,(Black to back of pot, orange to where the N3's Red was) & you have phase issues, just switch orange to back of pot, black to N3s red
            6 pieces of wood with wires
            1 big box with a bunch of little glass bottles & 2 big round black things
            1 little red & white & black box with 2 little glass bottles that sits on
            a wood box with 2 big round black things.
            1 little black box with 2 slightly bigger black boxes under it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightexpert View Post
              OK so I have an update I called fender to get a wiring diagram for a 2011 American Deluxe Strat V-neck. So this helps a bunch but I wanted to add to my previous post that the middle pickup is RW/RP so do I wire this one up differently than the others?
              NO
              6 pieces of wood with wires
              1 big box with a bunch of little glass bottles & 2 big round black things
              1 little red & white & black box with 2 little glass bottles that sits on
              a wood box with 2 big round black things.
              1 little black box with 2 slightly bigger black boxes under it.

Comment

You won't have phase issues since you bought a full set. Just pop them in and play.

Comment

Why don't you solve your problem simply by removing the S-1 pot?

I see no advantage to using the S-1 pot with the Surf Antiquity set unless you are going to actually use those other combinations.

I would Just yank it out and replace it with a 250k pot and a new set of knobs.
                  Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

That's terrible advice

Comment

Zenmind I really appreciate your input but in all honesty other than the sweet compound radius V neck if I remove the s-1 then What would be the point of me putting up the xtra $$$ for a deluxe. I know some people dont really like the S-1 switch configuration, but in all honesty whenever I take the time to get the tone dialed in right I absolutely love the sounds you can get out of this guitar especially positions 1-4 with the S-1 switch on. My only quarrel with the deluxe is the N3's they just get a little too muddy at loud volumes for my taste and I know that every guitar sounds a little different I've heard the antiquity II surf pickups in a deluxe before and I definitely like what I heard from them. On a side note I'm not sure if any of you have seen the deluxe's wiring before but it's a d@mn birdnest inside this thing. Ill post a picture of what it looks like when I get a chance.

BTW: Thanks for the post DreX
                      I would love to hear from someone that has actually replaced the pickups in a deluxe themselves and how it turned out

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X