Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for an Ash Body/Maple Neck & Fingerboard metal guitar

Hi guys!
    I'm about to order a custom made guitar, but still ain't sure about the pickups
    I want to get THIS kind of tone:

YouTube has banned me from their platform, more info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw6lHy_THW8

That guitar has an alder body, maple fingerboard and neck, and Duncan Invader pups

The only problem is that due to import barriers the luthier can't get neither 7 strings bridges nor alder wood
    So I'm going for a 6 strings explorer with ash body & maple fingerboard and neck, which I plan to detune to A#
    Is a Duncan Invader any good for that combination of woods? Would it sound similar like the one from the video?
    What about the neck pickup? I want something with nice cleans tones, like a EMG 60 but passive, any ideas?. Would a '59 do the job?

Re: Pickups for an Ash Body/Maple Neck & Fingerboard metal guitar

The Invader will definitely get you there still, but you might want to check out the AHB-3 Mick Thomson actives. They seriously help with the low end.

Comment

Originally posted by minusnine View Post
      Hi guys!
      I'm about to order a custom made guitar, but still ain't sure about the pickups
      I want to get THIS kind of tone:

YouTube has banned me from their platform, more info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw6lHy_THW8

That guitar has an alder body, maple fingerboard and neck, and Duncan Invader pups

The only problem is that due to import barriers the luthier can't get neither 7 strings bridges nor alder wood
      So I'm going for a 6 strings explorer with ash body & maple fingerboard and neck, which I plan to detune to A#
      Is a Duncan Invader any good for that combination of woods? Would it sound similar like the one from the video?
      What about the neck pickup? I want something with nice cleans tones, like a EMG 60 but passive, any ideas?. Would a '59 do the job?
      Get a Black Winter set
      -IM

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Marceau View Post
        The Invader will definitely get you there still, but you might want to check out the AHB-3 Mick Thomson actives. They seriously help with the low end.
        I agree. It'll definitely get you in the ballpark.

Ash is going to have a bit less mids and a brighter edge to it than alder. However, you say it's an Explorer, so the body size will also change the EQ a bit. I'd still take a look at something with a good midrange push if you're looking to get something close to that tone, though.

Check out Keith Merrow's video here demoing a whole buttload of Duncan humbuckers within a metal setting. While the guitar Keith is playing may not match the specs of either guitar you're discussing it will give you an idea of what the different pickups sound like in comparison to the Invader.

Nope...

Comment

The Invader is really a special purpose pickup.

Comment

Check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwxbihuTZPY I put a set of these in an Epi Korina Explorer. Never looked back.

Comment

Working...
            X