X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Split help needed

1 humbucker, 1 tone pot, 1 volume pot
    I want to coil split the humbucker.
    Should I use a push/pull on the tone pot or the Volume pot?
    How exactly would I wire this? I've seen diagrams with 1 humbucker and 1 volume pot, but no tone pot.

Any other recommendations, such as preferable Tone Pot/Cap combination(s)?

thanks,

Re: Coil Split help needed

The pot you use for the push pull does not matter as it is all personal preference. It will be wired the same way. If it were me I would put it on the tone pot. I ride my volume control a lot and would prefer not to some times have it pulled up.

If you want to move the switch to the tone pot, wire all of the black wires the same way. Red, green, and ground wire how it is in the diagram, but do it on the back of the tone pot. If that makes sense...

In terms of pot and cap values. I've always had good luck with CTS pots and Orange Drop caps. 500k tone and volume, .022 caps.

Use this diagram:
    Last edited by ericmeyer4; 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Yep, ericmeyer4 is totally right about not being too caught up about which control the push/pull is on because nothing changes with the main wiring. Looks intimidating but it's easy. With humbuckers I personally like 500k pots and .047 caps because I like a quick dampening of the tone control if needed. Orange drops are really good, so are old Mallorys, but even cheap ceramic disc ones will get the job done.

Comment

Thanks very much, this was just the ticket!

Comment

Working...
        X