• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: humbucker upgrade for Jazz

Maybe out of phase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Iīve been offered a Dimarzio PAF 103.( http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humb...th-anniversary ) . Recently I changed my neck p/u and have a Seth Lovers : GREAT. The combination with the original ceramic in bridge doesīnt work very nicely , I wonder if this dimarzio PAF 103 (although a neck p/u also) alnico 5 will get on nicely with my Seth (alnico2).??? what should I expect ? any wiring modifications ? what about a wiring with just one volume & one tone? thanx.
      Last edited by Ruskin; 06-26-2014, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruskin View Post
        The Ibz super 58īs seem to be very good (they are in the better guitars), but I want something similar. As far as I see there are a few other options : Gibsonīs 57 classic and S.Dīs Alnico II (APH-1 AND TBAPH-1) . Can you please comment on my choices and also if you consider any other SD humbucker for jazz tone. thanx.

- Those Ibanez PU's of yours have ceramic magnets, which is a poor choice for a hollowbody. Don't know what they were thinking.

- A good A2 vintage-output HB is ideal for your guitar, like A2P, Seth, BB, etc. Some of us think that Gibson '57's are kind of dull and muddy; there's certainly better PU's for less money.

- As has been mentioned here many times, Duncan 'Jazz" PU's are relatively bright and don't have a lot of character. Not what most people associate with a jazz tone. The name doesn't really fit.

- Upgrading PU's in a mid-price guitar is the best thing you can do to improve it's tone.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

a bit late blueman335, I think you should read previous and later posts. thanx anyway. :-) . Latest : Iīve been offered a Dimarzio PAF 103.( http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humb...th-anniversary ) . Recently I changed my neck p/u and have a Seth Lovers : GREAT. The combination with the original ceramic in bridge doesīnt work very nicely , I wonder if this dimarzio PAF 103 (although a neck p/u also) alnico 5 will get on nicely with my Seth (alnico2).??? what should I expect ? any wiring modifications ? what about a wiring with just one volume & one tone? thanx.
          Last edited by Ruskin; 06-26-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Go ahead and try it. It should sound better than what you currently have in the bridge. Also remember it isn't the mag you dislike it's the pup as a whole.
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruskin View Post
              Iīve been offered a Dimarzio PAF 103.( http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humb...th-anniversary ) . Recently I changed my neck p/u and have a Seth Lovers : GREAT. The combination with the original ceramic in bridge doesīnt work very nicely , I wonder if this dimarzio PAF 103 (although a neck p/u also) alnico 5 will get on nicely with my Seth (alnico2).??? what should I expect ? any wiring modifications ? what about a wiring with just one volume & one tone? thanx.
              Why don't you just get a Seth Lover bridge and call it a day?

And now that I think of it... WHY didn't you get the Seth Lover set to start with???

I just don't get it.
              Last edited by LtKojak; 06-26-2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X