Middle Position Mini-Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Position Mini-Hum

I'm currently working on a franken-tele with a set of p-rails and planing to put a mini humbucker in the middle. I'm pretty sure I want an SM-3, but the question is whether to use the neck or bridge version. Which one would you guys use?

Re: Middle Position Mini-Hum

Neck. Only use the bridge mini-hum in the bridge position. Using a bridge in middle or neck positions is too hot. You can't push the pickup down far enough away from the strings to make it sound good or useful. (The experience I base this on is I have a 3-pickup Firebird and I've swapped the pickups all around and used Gibson overwound recent minis, vintage Gibsons and Duncan Antiquities in it.)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Neck. Only use the bridge mini-hum in the bridge position. Using a bridge in middle or neck positions is too hot. You can't push the pickup down far enough away from the strings to make it sound good or useful. (The experience I base this on is I have a 3-pickup Firebird and I've swapped the pickups all around and used Gibson overwound recent minis, vintage Gibsons and Duncan Antiquities in it.)
      Awesome, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ragamuffin View Post
        Awesome, thanks!

Let us know how it comes out. Video would be nice. I am very into 3 pickup guitars and how the middle pickup add to the possibilities of tone. I once tried a LP with 3 mini Humbuckers and it was very cool sounding. By the time I got a chance to go back to make an offer, it was gone. It was an early 70's model that someone modded. Very funky sounding with 3 independent volume controls.

Comment

Working...
        X