banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnet swap to clean up a set of 59's in a Gibson SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet swap to clean up a set of 59's in a Gibson SG?

I have a Gibson SGJ and put a set of 59's in it and they sound great. Very typical classic rock sound that I want. However, the 59 is not known for the best cleans, so was wondering if there is magnet swap, mainly on the neck pickup, that would help clear up the cleans some but keep the same distorted sounds, or at least very close?

I know Kojak loves the A4 in the neck and A8 in the bridge, and that's a possibility, but not sure if the A4 in the neck would help clean it up or not. Maybe an A3/UOA5 set instead? Looking for opinions.
    2013 Gibson SG Standard (Custom A4 Neck & Custom A8 Bridge, both with Triple Shots)
    Boss Katana 50W w/Creamback

Re: Magnet swap to clean up a set of 59's in a Gibson SG?

Define 'clean up'. '59's have A5's which can give them a boomy low end in some guitars. If you're talking about mids, A2 PU's are going to be worse (more texture and grit). The high end on '59's is fairly sharp. I'd try an A4 or a3 IN YOUR '59n before giving up on it. If that fails, for a clear, clean sound, a JazzN would be a good choice.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I can't imagine a 59 NOT sounding clean. This is the first I've heard.. "the 59 is not known for the best cleans". Where did this knowledge come from?

I imagine that an A4 would be the best chance of getting a better clean out of a 59, but you may be better off with the Jazz.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My SGJ guitar is weird, I started with a Jazz, great cleans, but the dirt was muddy. Switched to a 59n, dirt is much better, but now the cleans are not as sparkly. Guess I am trying to get the best of both worlds.
        2013 Gibson SG Standard (Custom A4 Neck & Custom A8 Bridge, both with Triple Shots)

Comment

You could give a Rough Cast A5 a go, that's what the WLH uses. It might be interesting to try one out with the slightly lighter wind of the 59.
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Timely thread for me...I too have a 59n in my SG. Have had for years. Like the clean tone and slightly driven tone, but after playing a 335-style with A4 PAFs for a while recently, now I'm wanting more clarity from the SG neck position (particularly for chords). Tried level and screw adjustments, but couldn't get it where I want it, so my next resolve is to swap the magnet for an A4. I know there has been a good deal of discussion surrounding A4 59s out here, and based on much of that the swap seems like it could well get the neck tone where I want it.

Comment

What tonal changes could you expect going from a full A5 to a short A5?

Comment

You probably won't notice much difference. If anything the short mag will be a little less focused/softer.

Comment

If you try a roughcast or UOA5, let me know how it sounds because I have been considering doing such to my 59 that's in the neck of my Schecter. One day I love it stock, the next I think it has just a bit too much bottom and top.

Comment

I thought UOA5's didn't work well in the neck position?

Comment

They work great in the neck (or wherever else you want to put them). It just matters what you are specifically looking for. There are no rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerr View Post
                        I thought UOA5's didn't work well in the neck position?
                        Depends on the PU. UOA5's are brighter than A2's, and A2's are used in a lot of neck HB's. If an A2 neck HB is too warm and rounded, try an UOA5 or A4 to get more high end.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

not as sparkly? so you want more treble?

Have you tried lowering the pickup? That usually makes it clearer, lowers output and improves treble response while reducing the bass a bit.

on the subject of mag swaps,
                          Not sure how much more trebley you can get without an A5. Maybe an A2, but it'll also completely change the structure of the lows and mids.

Comment

I may be in the minority here, but I like a roughcast A2 in the 59n. I've only done it in LP's (never in a SG). Two complaints people seem to have with the 59: it has a "scooped" sound and, in the neck, sounds boomy. An A2 in the neck seems to help in both regards.

Comment

The usual question: Have you changed out the (most likely) 300k volume pot(s) for 500k's?. Most production Gibsons use those 300k linear volume pots, I'd deal with that before changing out the mags (or pickups, for that matter).

Al

Comment

Working...
                              X