Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonamassa? Whole Lotta HB?

2 Questions:

a.) What pickup would be best suited to target Bonamassa's Albert Hall LP tone?
    I know his signature p/u has an A3 & a wooden spacer: what is essential?

b.) What do you think of the Whole Lotta Humbucker? what is it meant to do well?

Thanks for your input!- feel free to give a lengthy, opinionated answer.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••
    4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
    VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
    Dunc Dist Demo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Re: Bonamassa? Whole Lotta HB?

Short opinionated answer:

a) Not a Bonamassa expert and don't feel qualified to comment.

b) I have the WLH set in a Les Paul Classic and I love it. The WLH is based on a rewind Seymour did for Jimmy Page in the early 70s. As you might expect it does Zeppelin style blues-influenced rock very well. In my opinion the WLH set does pretty much anything you would want to do with a Les Paul very well - from jazz through blues to classic rock and hard rock. A bit beefier than your typical PAF, well-balanced, cleans up brilliantly. If you wanted a high output metal pickup you'd look elsewhere but the WLH covers the rest.

Comment

Simon said it great! I havent used the Joe b pups, but the WLH are sweet and delicious! sound nice clean and can get mean and musical all the way.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Joe uses a variety of guitars. I think most/all will have PAF strength pickups in. Anything of that strength will get you in the ballpark if you have the right rig and chops.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post

b) I have the WLH set in a Les Paul Classic and I love it. The WLH is based on a rewind Seymour did for Jimmy Page in the early 70s. As you might expect it does Zeppelin style blues-influenced rock very well. In my opinion the WLH set does pretty much anything you would want to do with a Les Paul very well - from jazz through blues to classic rock and hard rock. A bit beefier than your typical PAF, well-balanced, cleans up brilliantly. If you wanted a high output metal pickup you'd look elsewhere but the WLH covers the rest.
          my thoughts to the letter.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post

+1,000,000!
            I really have nothing to add, this is everything you need to know about the WLH pickups. Unless you want pickups for metal, these will do anything and then some. Seymour made a Whole Lotta Win with these!
            MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

imo copping his tone is more about your chops and technique than anything else, but aside from that, having a killer marshally kinda drive sound, combined with PAF-esque pickups will get you there pretty easily. I was able to cop his tone with my old epi SG (with a '59 set, alnico 8 in the bridge, alnico 4 in the neck), pretty easily.

Comment

Speaking of Joe B, he is coming to town this December. I wanna go!!!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Didn't he use the stock Gibson BB3 for that DVD?
                  2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                  2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                  2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Man, between the Whole Lotta set and the Black Winters, I don't think there's a single tone you couldn't nail.

Comment

Working...
                    X