NPD - Custom Shop Strat Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - Custom Shop Strat Content

I picked up a set of Strabro90's. I've been interested in these pickups for years. Unfortunately I have a ton of schoolwork to get to, so I won't be installing them for at least a few days, but oh well. I made sure to maximize my available options while keeping the traditional Strat appearance. The 5 way works normally, as does the volume control. The middle tone is a master control, and also has a push push knob that will invert the phase of the bridge pickup. The last knob is a blend knob so I can get neck+bridge and all three pickups simultaneously. And lastly, the mini toggle is a 3PDT to tap all three pickups at once. It should be a lot of fun. I'm eager to have my first experience with CS pickups.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: NPD - Custom Shop Strat Content

I gave myself like 45 minutes to mess around with this guitar today. That very quickly turned into two hours. These pickups sound unbelievably good. The strat tones are awesome and the full pickup tones are so sweet. I have a bunch of work to do but hopefully I can get a full write up done on Monday or thereafter. But if you've ever contemplated these pickups I can say that they are absolutely worth the money.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

I second this review. Strabro 90s are to date my favorite strat pickups, even over antiquity II surfers. Thats a killer setup - you have any photos of the guitar?
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Here you go. Between this guitar and my pedalboard there is almos no tone outside of modern metal that I can't get. I will probably get one of those Mesa Throttle Box EQ pedals at some point so there will be literally nothing I can't do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
          I gave myself like 45 minutes to mess around with this guitar today. That very quickly turned into two hours.
          Isn't it amazing how that always seems to happen with guys like us?
          MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

i am jelly of yo' blackmore lookin strat.

Comment

Very cool! Who else ended up getting a full set of these?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Holy **** that sounds awesome. Please upload some tracks to soundcloud. That's a beautiful strat
                Last edited by Kais; 05-23-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I installed Stratbro 90's a couple weeks ago . They remind me a lot more of a full size humbucker than single coil sized humbuckers, they have a punchy mid range I don't seem to get with Lil 59's or Lil Screamin Demon or Lil Pearly Gates.

I have an S-1 put that splits all three at once, I'm not sure how I feel about their split tone because the full mode tone is so satisfying that I never want to use the weaker split mode. It's sort of the weak sound you get if you split a '59, but weaker. I love the look with the three slugs and three screws.

The red pick guard didn't work out as well as I thought it would, I think it's just too bright, but I had to enlarge the holes to fit the pickups in, so I'm not eager to change it out any time soon.

Comment

My thoughts on these pickups

HOLY **** THEY SMOKE LIKE SNOOP DOGG.

Seriously, I've never played Strat pickups this good. I mean, the BKP Irish Tours I had were really good. And the Fralin SP-42 set I had was even better. But these are just ****.

They're tapped strat pickups. I can't really explain the concept but it is very different from coil splitting, what you do on a humbucker. Basically these pickups have a single coil mode and a P90 mode. And they both KICK MAJOR ASS. I've had a HSH setup in this guitar for the last year or so and I was really missing the Strat quack, but I didn't want to give up the girth and power of humbuckers. Basically that's what these pickups let you do. Tapped, they play like a great set of vintage single coils - I could get Hendrix, Mayer, and SRV for days. The in between positions retain all that is good and Stratty in the world - the ***** quacks like a duck when I want her to.

But at the flick of a switch you get girth, balls, and fatness galore. I would have no problem plugging this guitar into a Dual Rectifier, tuning down to Drop Z and chugging the funk out. But they're also great for jazz - it's a nice fat tone but with Strat clarity. I also wired the pickups up with a blender knob - a very wise choice because neck+bridge with both pickups on full is an incredibly awesome tone. It's got more beef than a slaughterhouse. There's a nice bump in the mids when engaging the full coil, along with a slight increase in bass and a decrease in treble. I just love how much these pickups want to ROCK.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                      Holy **** that sounds awesome. Please upload some tracks to soundcloud. That's a beautiful strat
                      I will try, but I need to focus on school with graduation so very close. I can work on doing that in a month or so. I really want to get some nice clips of the up because there are so few available.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

According to the product description http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/stra-bro-90/ it's a stacked humbucker, but it was hard to tell by looking at it, because the black tape wrapping and the traditional metal humbucker mounting hide the clues.

Comment

Nah, it's a tappable single coil.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Working...
                          X