Mounting springs vs. tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting springs vs. tubing

I'm getting some new humbuckers soon for my strat and I'm trying to decide if it is better to use the springs that come with it or just use some of the tubing you can get for it. Does anyone know if the tubing is deep enough for a bucker and how does it compare to using springs?

Here's the tubing I'm talking about: Fender Pickup Mounting Tubing

Re: Mounting springs vs. tubing

I would think that it would really be your preferance. It's not like either one affects the tone or anything.

Comment

I just wondered if the tubing would be long enough for a humbucker, but I guess the hb and sc are about the same depth.

Comment

It might depend on the humbucker but I don't believe those Fender tubes are long enough, or you could try stacking a couple together. Humbucker legs extend below the bottom of the pickup. Single coils for Strats have the baseplate and cover together that the shorten the distance to the pickguard.

Comment

You can buy tubing - I think its just surgical tubing. I'm not from the US so have no idea what type of shops it would be from. At worst case buy some flexible 4mm irrigation tubing.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            You can buy tubing - I think its just surgical tubing. I'm not from the US so have no idea what type of shops it would be from.
            This is true. I can find it at just about any hardware store around here.

Comment

Worse comes to worst I could probably just stack two of those pieces on top of each other.

Comment

Springs can actually make noise that can be heard. I just buy a couple feet of the stuff at the auto parts store , take a screw and match it. Works great , that's what they send you inside a Tom Anderson pup.
                Originally posted by Oinkus
                I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Originally posted by Oinkus View Post
                  Springs can actually make noise that can be heard.
                  I was waiting for someone to pipe up with this.

Yes, and I can hear the difference between a guitar with flat black paint and metallic red paint. Metallic paints are definitely twangier sounding.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Read post #9, from a pro.

Comment

Use springs. Tubing has a narrow range of adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonman View Post
                        I like how he starts out his post...

"Here's a good story".

I agree, it was a good story. And metallic paint sounds better on a Tele.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I keep all of my humbuckers in a humidor. Or is it humador?

Comment

I have to say that the desire to use tubing is from a laziness/frustration perspective. I hate chasing springs.

Comment

I prefer tubes because I've found that, in some cases, springs increase the feedback, since they are small metallic parts that vibrate.
                              My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                              My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
                              X