No announcement yet.

Anyone here use Bourns Vintage Premium Pot? And a question about their kit set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here use Bourns Vintage Premium Pot? And a question about their kit set

I got me some Bourns Push-Pull pots. The Push Pull mechanism itself is much better than the Alpha pot mech that came stock in my Godin. For one thing the switch makes a click mechanical sound which is barely noticeable when used, whereas the alpha switch made a loud pop like practically knocking on the guitar body with a iron rod or something lol This pop would get picked up by the pickups as well & amplified but so far Bournsis giving me silent operation.

Anyways, so I was looking at their range & I noticed these different plastic body like guitar pots. Here: http://www.bourns.com/ProAudio.aspx?name=pamm

Has anyone used these & if you have then what are they like taperwise/soundwise?

And I also came across their kits here http://www.bourns.com/DesignKits.aspx?name=ProAudio
    Does one of these also include pots that are used on amp controls as well? Speaking of which what kind of pots do I need on the amp, my master volume has gotten scratchy & I'm not sure if spraying WD40 in it as cleaning agent would help, probably have to buy DeOxit for that purpose. Haven't opened up the amp yet so I was just curious what type taper is used there.

Re: Anyone here use Bourns Vintage Premium Pot? And a question about their kit set

I had a Bourn p/p pot just crap on me. the p/p mechanism stopped operating properly.

going back to AllParts.

Comment

Re: Anyone here use Bourns Vintage Premium Pot? And a question about their kit set

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
      Anyways, so I was looking at their range & I noticed these different plastic body like guitar pots. Here: http://www.bourns.com/ProAudio.aspx?name=pamm

Has anyone used these & if you have then what are they like taperwise/soundwise?
      I use these in several of my guitars. They have a silky-smooth feel. The main benefit of these is there "plastic" element. The whole point of the polymer element is in its inherently low thermal noise. Ordinary carbon resistors actually generate noise as a function of the density of the carbon molecules that are bouncing around in the element. (Or something like that.) Polymer's don't have that noise.

That's the theory. The reality is, you have a snowball's chance in hell of hearing the difference. Way less than the difference between different caps in the tone circuit. Mainly, it's for the "mojo" and the feel. Also, I love the little shaft grounding tabs, so that you don't have to solder to the back of the pot.
      (You can't anyway. They're plastic.)

Anyway . . . I like 'em.

Artie

Comment

^Nice, the plastic enclosure does seem prone to melting from excess solder heat but maybe its harder plastic, oh well good to know about these Thanks Artie

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
        I had a Bourn p/p pot just crap on me. the p/p mechanism stopped operating properly.

going back to AllParts.
        That's unfortunate, well good thing I picked up a pair, I'll find out how long these work for me. I've not used CTS p/p pot, I wonder how the p/p mechanism behaves on them.

Comment

Working...
        X