banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker to make Mahogony sound more like Basswood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker to make Mahogony sound more like Basswood?

I have a new basswood guitar that for my purposes is putting my mahogony guitars to shame.

THe mahogony guitars are more resonant and have more sparkle on top, more agressive sound, they sound better unplugged, but when amplified, all that extra "junk" competes with the fundamental tone and for high gain shredding, it is harder to have sound right.

I have a Full Shred in one of the mahogony guitars, and an Evolution in the other one, but the bottom on both seem to bigger than the basswood. What pickup would be similar to a Full Shred, good hot for shredding, nice harmonics, but a thicker lead tone that is tight down below?

In the dimarzio range, the ToneZone would probably be ok, but it has way too much bass. Something like a TZ with less bass. The duncans seem to have less bass overall so maybe something in the DUncan catalog? Maybe a JB?

Re: Humbucker to make Mahogony sound more like Basswood?

Have you tried a Norton?

Comment

I'd try an EQ or boost pedal before you swap pickups. Like such.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
        THe mahogony guitars are more resonant and have more sparkle on top, more agressive sound, they sound better unplugged, but when amplified, all that extra "junk" competes with the fundamental tone and for high gain shredding, it is harder to have sound right.
        It's funny that you say "fundamental tone", because I think what you're referring to as junk are actually the harmonics, and what you want more emphasis on is actually called the "fundamental frequency". The EQ pedal suggestion isn't bad because you can dial down the harmonic frequencies and clean it up that way, but StoRMiE linked to the Spark Booster which only has a bass and treble control, you'd want parametric EQ so that you can selectively knock out the "junk".

But better still IMO would be putting in a lower value capacitor in your tone pot. Try going down to .01 mfd, this will cut more highs and leave more mids intact. Or install a push pull that lets you select between the existing cap and the .01 mfd cap so you can have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
          It's funny that you say "fundamental tone", because I think what you're referring to as junk are actually the harmonics, and what you want more emphasis on is actually called the "fundamental frequency". The EQ pedal suggestion isn't bad because you can dial down the harmonic frequencies and clean it up that way, but StoRMiE linked to the Spark Booster which only has a bass and treble control, you'd want parametric EQ so that you can selectively knock out the "junk".

But better still IMO would be putting in a lower value capacitor in your tone pot. Try going down to .01 mfd, this will cut more highs and leave more mids intact. Or install a push pull that lets you select between the existing cap and the .01 mfd cap so you can have your cake and eat it too.
          Thats a good idea and worth trying, but if anything I want to roll off the bass frequencies. I like the harmonics to be there (Satrini like), from the pickup, but there is a hard/glassy attack in mahogony, that is softer in Basswood. So the harmonics seem to spring off basswood, when on mahogony they are more agressive sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
            Have you tried a Norton?
            I used the Norton for many years until I started recording. It sounds great in room but there is a "hole" in the treble frequencies. It has mids and harmonics, but the frequencies that are strong in the ceramic Evolutiona seem to be in short supply in the Norton. The Norton would be great in Basswood for my needs. I would like something with the top of an Evolution but with a touch less bass and more upper mids. A JB?

Comment

I used the Norton for many years until I started recording. It sounds great in room but there is a "hole" in the treble frequencies. It has mids and harmonics, but the frequencies that are strong in the ceramic Evolutiona seem to be in short supply in the Norton. The Norton would be great in Basswood for my needs. I would like something with the top of an Evolution but with a touch less bass and more upper mids. A JB?
              Right now, my favorite two PUs I have tried in Mahogony are the Full Shred and the Evo. The Fullshred has the alnico sound and less bass, but the Evolution has the upper mids right without as much top extension, but more bass. If there was an evo with the Full Shred bottom end that is what I would want.

Comment

Mahogany what?

An LP is a polar opposite of a SG. They might share wood species and not even that for real (too many mahogany species).

Comment

I have both a basswood and a mahogany rg. I agree with the OP on the mahogany having too much going on compared to basswood.
                  Though my particular experience is the mahogany one is more midrangy, thick in a compressed way, and definitely more "in your face".
                  The basswood by comparison is very even sounding. It has a more piano like note separation.

I like the basswood one more as well.

For pickup recommendations why not a super2?

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                    I have both a basswood and a mahogany rg. I agree with the OP on the mahogany having too much going on compared to basswood.
                    Though my particular experience is the mahogany one is more midrangy, thick in a compressed way, and definitely more "in your face".
                    The basswood by comparison is very even sounding. It has a more piano like note separation.

I like the basswood one more as well.

For pickup recommendations why not a super2?
                    that might work

Comment

when amplified, all that extra "junk" competes with the fundamental tone and for high gain shredding, it is harder to have sound right.
                      Well, you can turn the gain down a notch for free. More fundamental, less harmonics. Too simple, right?

Comment

You could try an Alternative 8.

Comment

Originally posted by StoRMiE View Post
                          You could try an Alternative 8.
                          That might work. I found this video
                          http://surfacex.bandcamp.comhttps://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemoshttps://soundcloud.com/surfacexhttp://www.youtube.com/surfacexmusicMarshall Valvestate V...

Sounds good, but I didn't think anyone would actually try to copy Kirk Hammets nervous vibrato. I always thought he sounded like that because he lacked fine muscle control or ears.

This pu is on my radar.
                          Last edited by Top-L; 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

When I've messed around with the Alt-8, it was thick for sure. Articulate but pretty big sounding.

Dunno if that's what you're looking for..
                            -IM

Comment

Custom Custom! Little bass, lots of mids and good treble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X