keeping humbucker level with the strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping humbucker level with the strings

Any ideas on how to make a humbucker stay level with the strings? Mine always tilts backwards towards the bridge.

Re: keeping humbucker level with the strings

Is it mounted in a pickup ring? or pickguard?

You could wedge a shim between the side of the pickup and whatever it's mounted in.

Comment

In some situations the PU cable under the PU can cause that. If it is mounted with a ring, sometimes pulling a little bit of the cable out or pushing a little bit back in will do it.
      Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
      If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

well if u have a trembucker and u also have pickup rings/pick-guard for 3-screw mount, then this real easy. the top 2 screws, makes it possible to tilt the pickup in any way u like.
        looks something like this
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	5776501

i ve also seen these after market adaptors, that makes an ordinary 2 screw pickups into 3 screw ones.

Comment

its on a strat. I tried to use the other screw holes to level it out but the size screws that are used in the middle screw holes are bigger. what size is the other screws because the trembucker did not come with any?

Comment

i m assuming u have a pickguard with 3 holes for the humbucker, but only have 2 screws to play with.

i quote the sizes for screws being:
            humbuckers take #3-48
            some Fender and Carvin Humbuckers take a #4-40
            but thats rare

Comment

I slightly bend the mounting screws on each side, making sure the bends a between the screw heads and the bottom of the pup leg. The spring tension causes the slug side up or down, same for pole side.
              I have doing this all my life and 1-2 turns will make it go poles up or a combo of turns of both screws can get solid angles any way you want. Slug side up or down. I have never brooken a screw yet.
              This is easy and fast and if it slips a little 1 turn either side will fix it through spring pressure.
              Please no Carl V. Jokes.
              I bend mine quite a bit so they stay in place always.
              Seriously
              Steve B.

Comment

Steve,

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying...that you bend the screws so that they are curved and no longer straight?!

If that's the case, then when you want to adjust the pup height by 1/2 turn your pup will tip the opposite direction.

A better solution is to just bend the screw tabs on the baseplate of the pup. If your pup points toward the bridge, bend the tab to point toward the bridge.

Putting a shim between the pup and the pickguard is not a good idea...the shim can come loose and drop into the pup routing in the body.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

A block of foam stuck under the pickup should do.

Comment

Some guys just bend the pickup mounting "legs" a little to get the pickup to stay straight, but you have to be careful not to break off the leg (just use a pair of pliers to get the correct angle).

Al

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                      This is what I do, as well. Cut some of the foam that comes in the pickup box to a size that fits in the pickup cavity. Reinstall the pickup with the foam underneath and position the pickup level. The foam holds it in place.

Comment

I like the foam idea! going to try that next time I change strings. I was actually thinking of trying that.

Comment

To GuitarDoc,
                          Good point from G.Doc so my answer is that if I want to raise or lower the entire pickup I can actually do that 1/2 turn up or down and with both screws bent I can still keep them level w/just a tiny amount of screw adjustment, less than 1/2 a turn, achieve my desired hieght and slant.
                          Just gotta make sure the springs are putting lots of pressure on the legs. It is much easier to control than trying to twist the leg end, that I think would be more dangerous and also leave me with less control overall-I would have to bend one leg eastward and the other westward to change the tilt. I think the screw is great, it has worked for me all my playing life.
                          Foam is good to, but it can shift more easily, lose it's position easier in my experience. I do think it is a good way to go, but I like the bent screws best.
                          I should note that I have soldered on an extention on one leg like Koshikas said, and that was great too, but took too much time after I found out I could do it w/springs
                          Steve B.
                          Last edited by SJ318; 05-29-2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                            Perluss Whun
                            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Why would you have to bend the pickup legs in two different directions?. You just bend the part that has the mounting holes in it to an angle that makes the pickup sit flat. Still have all the same adjustment as before. I think this is better than bending the screws myself. It only takes a slight bend with a pair of needlenose pliers to get it to the right angle. Just be aware that if the pickup is set pretty low the wires coming out the bottom of the pickup might be hitting the bottom of the cutout, keeping the pickup from sitting flat. You may have to move the wires around a bit.

Al

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                              To GuitarDoc,
                              Good point from G.Doc so my answer is that if I want to raise or lower the entire pickup I can actually do that 1/2 turn up or down and with both screws bent I can still keep them level w/just a tiny amount of screw adjustment, less than 1/2 a turn, achieve my desired hieght and slant.
                              Just gotta make sure the springs are putting lots of pressure on the legs. It is much easier to control than trying to twist the leg end, that I think would be more dangerous and also leave me with less control overall-I would have to bend one leg eastward and the other westward to change the tilt. I think the screw is great, it has worked for me all my playing life.
                              Foam is good to, but it can shift more easily, lose it's position easier in my experience. I do think it is a good way to go, but I like the bent screws best.
                              I should note that I have soldered on an extention on one leg like Koshikas said, and that was great too, but took too much time after I found out I could do it w/springs
                              Steve B.

Comment

Working...
                              X