Help with wiring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wiring!

I'm wiring up a strat with 2 humbuckers. I'm using a tele 3 way switch with 1 vol and 2 tone. I've tried to find a diagram to match up but all I can find are strat wirings with one tone and I'm needing two tones. Here's a pic of what I have so far (conceptually). On another project the green and bare wires go to the back of the volume pot and the black to the switch lug. What I don't know how to do is do the tone correctly. Here's a pic with a mock up of what I have. Any help appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	5833128

Re: Help with wiring!

You could tap the tones off the black from the pickup before going to the switch.

Comment

So it should look like this?

Name:	mockup.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	5777685
      Last edited by TNTales; 05-28-2014, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I found this diagram but I don't understand it. Like how do you connect all the green lines?

Name:	tech04.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	5777686

Comment

Basic guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 3-way lever switch, one volume and two tone controls. Typical two humbucker Strat style guitar configuration. Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.

BUT these are more useful....

Guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 5-way 4-pole lever switch, one volume and two tone controls. Custom 5-way switching: 1. Bridge Humbucker (series) 2. Bridge(S) + Neck(N) (parallel) 3. Bridge Series Humbucker + Neck Series Humbucker 4. Neck(S) + Bridge(N) (parallel) 5. Neck Humbucker (series)
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

You don't have to physically connect the green (ground) wires to each other. This diagram is showing that all of the grounds (green wires, switch, backs of pots, & output jack) are electrically connected. You could even accomplish it by connecting all of the wires (from pups, switch, jack) to the back of the vol pot and run a wire from back of vol pot to the backs of the tone pots. Just about any physical arrangement will work as long as all of the grounds are connected electrically.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Here's the diagram you want with a 3-way toggle switch...

Here's the switch translation so you can wire the 3-way blade switch instead of the toggle...

Comment

Last question: some of these diagrams show the cap being soldered to the middle lug the others to the right lug. Which is correct and does it matter?

Comment

The tone works by having one part of the circuit connected to the variable part of the tone pot (the centre lug or wiper), and the other connected to either one of the two outer lugs. One of these is linked to ground and the cap is either between the pots, or between the lug and ground. The effect is the same regardless.

Comment

So I can do put it on either the center or outer lug?

Comment

If you are using linear pots, and tone pots typically are, you can use the either the center lug as the input and the outside lug as the output, or vice-versa and it will behave the same.

BTW - your second diagram looks correct, though it was not labelled and may not have been the easiest to read. I'm not criticizing, I'm just speaking from experience when you get the solder iron out and are trying to decipher your own drawing while guitar parts are melting... you get the idea.

Comment

Thanks very much. I think they're audio pots because I ordered the Fender pots that can be used as either. But here's a better mock up.

Name:	mockup.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	5777710

Comment

Ok, one last mock up. I still need to wire up the jack and the grounds. The pots are all audio pots. Thanks to everyone who helped out with this. It should be fun when it's done.

Name:	mock.png
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	5777718

Comment

No that's not right. You've got the output of the switch bypassing the vol pot and going directly to the output jack (even though it is physically connected to the vol pot). Disconnect the wire coming from the switch to the middle lug of the vol put and connect it to the outer lug of the vol pot, keeping the wire to the output jack connected to the middle lug of the vol pot.

Comment

Working...
                            X