Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Hey I have a Hagstrom Super Swede and I just had a set of Black Winter pickups installed and I am just wondering do I need to do anything else to maximize these pickups.... Different volume and tone pots or anything it's my first pickup swap any info would be much appreciated....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Re: Help

Depends... Do you like how they sound now? If you do great nothing more to do. You would only need to change the pots if you think the sound is too dark or too bright. Otherwise... Enjoy =)
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwinter86 View Post
      Hey I have a Hagstrom Super Swede and I just had a set of Black Winter pickups installed and I am just wondering do I need to do anything else to maximize these pickups.... Different volume and tone pots or anything it's my first pickup swap any info would be much appreciated....

Is there some aspect of your tone you would like to fine tune? It is hard to make any suggestions without more information on what you like about the sound, you don't like, where you would like your tone to end up, the gear you are using etc.

Comment

I have just noticed that my volume doesn't kick in until I have the knowledge turned to around 4 same for the tone just wondering if I'm missing out on the full potential of the pickups if I don't get the full range of the pots.... I'm still new at this sorry for the lack of knowledge

Comment

Know not knowledge

Comment

Knob ****ing auto correct

Comment

What pots are you using? Brand and value. Is this under gain or clean? What amp?

Comment

Everything is stock hagstrom parts... Under both clean and Distortion. Same with both amps my Roland cube and my Crate flexible 65

Comment

Flexwave

Comment

The taper of pots is variable. Audio seems to give a better gradiation than linear, and some of the Dimarzio custom taper ones seem the most natural to me.

In terms of resistance value a 500K will shunt less of the natural top end to ground that a 250K when used as a volume pot. For tone, the higher value pot will also suck less highs out at 10, but you can always turn the tone down a bit if that makes it to bright. Turning the pot down to the 250K point is just like having a 250K pot in there in the first place.

Comment

Thank you very much AlexR

Comment

I own a Hagstrom Ultra Swede. Those are pretty simple to change out the pickups. There is really nothing special you have to do, that you wouldn't do on any other guitar. If there was one simple change you could make, it would be to change the cap. to your liking. But, that is a minor thing for most people.

Now if there is something specific that is wrong to your ears with the pickup change, let us know. Then we can make better suggestions, or should I say more specific suggestions on where to go with working on your guitar. Just keep us updated.
                        1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

I just want to make sure I'm getting everything possible out of these pickups

Comment

Working...
                          X