P-Rails Upside Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rails Upside Down

Hi. I´m Jose from Spain. It´s my first post.

I read that P-rails is better install them upside down, with the rails on the outside. Is it true? Both picks or only neck pick?

Thanks

Re: P-Rails Upside Down

The P-Rails are a great concept that define real brain power applied to the design.

As to your question, it just take a few minutes to swap them around. Try them in all the different configurations and see what works best for you and your guitar.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Your ear is the final authority so try it both ways and see for yourself, but I prefer the bridge P-Rail with the Rail coil toward the bridge. It gives it a more twangy tone and makes it sound more unique.

I found that when the bridge P-Rail is mounted with the P-90 next to the bridge that the P-90 and Rail coils sound too similar. Turning this one around so that the Rail coil is next to the bridge creates greater separation and uniqueness in the two tones. I ALWAYS mount my bridge P-Rails with the Rail next to the bridge.

It doesn't make a lot of difference in the tone of the neck P-Rail to rotate it so I keep it with the P-90 coil next to the neck.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Welcome Jose!

My setup is following Doc's suggestion. My original plan was to try both rails outward, but went with his advice first since he seems to know them quite well.

It's easy enough to change the orientations, and there's really no "right" way do it. I hope to experiment more eventually, but have been enjoying this "Doc" setup quite a bit, and so far not motivated enough to change anything.

With the rail outward on the bridge, I find it gives a nice bright bridge tone by itself. Then when combined with the neck rail (which is facing inward), I feel like it gives more of a Tele tone (on my guitar anyway).

Having both rails inward is supposed to give more of a Stratty 2/4 tone, as the rails are closer together (so more comb filtering). But it's probably not as bright for the bridge only.

One funny thing about P-Rails is that they seem to make an H-H-H guitar something worth trying.

Comment

I'd still like to see someone make a P-rail with Invader pole pieces and ceramic magnet with an A8 in the rail section.

Comment

Thaks for the answers. I try them.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I'd still like to see someone make a P-rail with Invader pole pieces and ceramic magnet with an A8 in the rail section.
              Ah, you'd enjoy a trip to mud city then.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                Seems like the kind of advice staybobo would give...

Comment

I installed them in the standard way cause I didn't want the logo to be upside down. Then I adjusted my ears accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                    Seems like the kind of advice staybobo would give...
                    LMAO!!!

Comment

I haven't found the tone knob or the gain knob on my ears yet. Still exploring my own body after all these years.

Comment

Working...
                      X