Standard ceramic vs. double thick ceramic in Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard ceramic vs. double thick ceramic in Custom

I know that the Custom comes with a standard thickness ceramic mag. Has anyone ever swapped in a double thick ceramic into one and if so what was your result?

Re: Standard ceramic vs. double thick ceramic in Custom

I would do a search. I remember reading about it.
    -IM

Comment

k

Comment

I did a 1.5x thick ceramic ages ago.

It was good. much the same flavour as the regular custom, but a bit more thickness and heft. Slightly smoother treble.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
          I did a 1.5x thick ceramic ages ago.

It was good. much the same flavour as the regular custom, but a bit more thickness and heft. Slightly smoother treble.
          Sounds similar to a C8 but maybe thicker?
          -IM

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
            Sounds similar to a C8 but maybe thicker?
            similar, but a bit thinner I'd say. more clinical.

The C8's massive growly low mids are very open and tend to roar. The thick ceramic in comparison is more compressed, a more even sound, less open and while there is a thickness to the lows and low-mids, it doesn't really roar quite like the C8 does. The treble of the thick ceramic isn't quite as smooth and musical as the C8 either.

Comment

I've tried a C8 and a thick ceramic in the Custom. Currently, the thick ceramic, or Big Custom as I like to call it, is my favorite. The C8 seemed too round and lost definition on the high strings for fast, alt pick runs.

The thick ceramic makes the custom sound bigger, it has a bit more crunch to it on the low end but is still very tight and aggressive. Leads are where it shines. They sing more and have more shimmer to them. It is a bit rounder or bigger sounding than the standard Custom. It doesn't have more output necessarily, but is definitely more aggressive with the bigger ceramic. If you like the Custom but just want a bit more "umph" and want it to sing a bit more on the highs, the Big Custom is the way to go.

Comment

In a nutshell, it's the closest to DiMarzio Super D you can get without having a Super D. Thick ceramic magnet + mid-wind coils. In fact, the Custom coils have slightly more winds on them (7.2k each approx).

Comment

Working...
                X