Black Winter vs SD custom shop Tyrannotitan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Winter vs SD custom shop Tyrannotitan

Ok, judge for yourselves, I didn't bother making a video, too time consuming. Recorded with the iphone mic sitting infront of a Marshall VS30 a low volume. I was right all along. Same coils just different poles and magnets, the TT has a single 5mm ceramic mag, golden insulation coloured coils, 12 screws poles.... the BW has triple 5mm thick ceramic mags, reddish coloured insulated coil, standard paf poles....

I am sticking with the Tyrannotitans......
    Last edited by Dark Order Lord; 05-31-2014, 07:21 PM.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Re: Black Winter vs SD custom shop Tyrannotitan

interesting. the black winter seems to have more of a middy crunch whereas your TT seems to be a bit more open and with bigger, growlier low-mids, but other than that, very similar.

Comment

The damm soundclouds aren't showing up right......
      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

Comment

Same coils? How so?

You say the wire is different. Even if it is the exact same wind, that alone makes them finally different. And didn't you say you asked your CS pickup to be a variant of the DD? Please elaborate?

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

showed up fine for me.......

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
            showed up fine for me.......
            Ah, its my ipad.....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
              Same coils? How so?

You say the wire is different. Even if it is the exact same wind, that alone makes them finally different. And didn't you say you asked your CS pickup to be a variant of the DD? Please elaborate?

Did you have a listen?????

sigpic

Comment

Same coils? How so?

Look, my custom shop TT's have the same coil colour difference the first has golden and the second has the reddish - the latter has a little less growl (see the second video I made with the two V's through the TSL100) but other than that the were the same, and then I noticed a new Black Winter that arrived the other day at my work which has the golden coloured coil, and the older BW that I bought has the red. So why would SD do that with factory production if it changed the sound.

I am pretty sure the sound differences are the poles and the amount of magnets in this case.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                  Ah, its my ipad.....
                  lol that'd do it. soundcloud player is flash based. apple no like flash.

Comment

iPhone mic isn't exactly going to be the best way to show the differences between pickups. I bet if you added an SH-6 Distortion into the mix, there wouldn't be much of a difference either.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjunkie986 View Post
                      iPhone mic isn't exactly going to be the best way to show the differences between pickups. I bet if you added an SH-6 Distortion into the mix, there wouldn't be much of a difference either.
                      Trust me the differences are not huge, if that iphone mic can pick it than proper miking will just have more detail. I am setting up my multitrack so give it time, but these clips should give you enough

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjunkie986 View Post
                        +1

Like I suggested in the other thread where this notion was brought up, SD didn't take your idea for the basis of the BW. Timelines don't add up. Your original posting about the idea for your CS order was a variation of he DD. Have you done a similar comparison with the DD, as suggested by junkie986?

Now, if SD saw your request and modded a BW.....that would be more plausible.

Comment

actually i think TT and BW are actually kind of the same goal, a more balanced and clearer mids DD, just two ways of it, one being hotter than the actual distortion (BW) and the other the same output, finally the diference being extra mags (they actually does more than output) and the poles 12 screw (gibson DF style on TT) and screws/slugs (on BW), so asume the coils are basically the same is not wrong at all, they are a tweak made to the 2nd member of the JB wind family.

in resume, i think that when dark lord made his CS order MJ saw that the thing he was asking was almost what they were doing with the BW just at the same DD output...

Comment

+1

Like I suggested in the other thread where this notion was brought up, SD didn't take your idea for the basis of the BW. Timelines don't add up. Your original posting about the idea for your CS order was a variation of he DD. Have you done a similar comparison with the DD, as suggested by junkie986?

Now, if SD saw your request and modded a BW.....that would be more plausible.

Dude, my first TT was ordered in october 2012, before the BW came out, then my second in June 2013. When I ordered it originaly I gave MJ my specs and she said "i have a a pickup very close to those specs, it will be a great pickup", which means the custom shop already had the specs for a BW for who knows how long.

Thats not the point I'm making, i never said that 'SD made the BW from the TT.... Blah blah blah', rather I only ever said that I suspected that they were both the same spec'd pickup, and I was right. My specs to MJ was to have 12 screws poles and a single 5mm ceramic and the sound to be clearer faster tracking mids. You are taking me out of context dude.

Plus you know that I already made a video comparing the DD and the TT, I don't really want to repost it, but

Last edited by Dark Order Lord; 06-01-2014, 05:21 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EDX View Post
                              actually i think TT and BW are actually kind of the same goal, a more balanced and clearer mids DD, just two ways of it, one being hotter than the actual distortion (BW) and the other the same output, finally the diference being extra mags (they actually does more than output) and the poles 12 screw (gibson DF style on TT) and screws/slugs (on BW), so asume the coils are basically the same is not wrong at all, they are a tweak made to the 2nd member of the JB wind family.

in resume, i think that when dark lord made his CS order MJ saw that the thing he was asking was almost what they were doing with the BW just at the same DD output...
                              Dude, spot on. Besides, even though I actually like my TT better, if I were to choose a factory floor model, I'd definitely choose the Black Winter 100%.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X