Replacing Active Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Active Pickups

I'm thinking I may like to try a Jackson Kelly. It comes with EMG active pickups. Never used those before. No need to. If I don't like them can I remove them and just leave the battery compartment empty and replace them with just regular Duncans?

Re: Replacing Active Pickups

No, you would have to replace the pots and caps too. Humbuckers usually take 500K pots, and the active pickups like EMG, and the S.D. Blackouts take 25K audio pots. So if you switched from EMG's to blackouts or GFS Red Actives that wouldn't be a problem. But if you have your heart set on switching to passive pickups, then you need to switch out the pots and caps.
    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

I did this with an HH FMT Tele that came with EMGs. I replaced them with SD Pearly Gates, and I didn't even realize the pots were 25k because I put in 500k push pulls for series/parallel at the time of pickup installation, but I looked in my parts drawer and sure enough, Alpha A25K pots used to be in the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
        I did this with an HH FMT Tele that came with EMGs. I replaced them with SD Pearly Gates, and I didn't even realize the pots were 25k because I put in 500k push pulls for series/parallel at the time of pickup installation, but I looked in my parts drawer and sure enough, Alpha A25K pots used to be in the guitar.
        ok.

Comment

Working...
        X