Mods on the Everything Axe set...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods on the Everything Axe set...

I use the gold pickguard prewired Everything Axe set on one of my Strats and found it necessary to modify it slightly.
    First off I found the volume control to be too close to the bridge. I could not rest my hand on the bridge as I normally do quite a bit, and there was no room for my fingers to fit between the bridge and vol control. I used the vol with the knob off for a time and finally just moved the control down some. Now it is perfect and I can still reach it if I want to spin the control with my little finger. Simply put in a black nylon plug into the old hole and fits the color scheme fine.

While I like all the Strat positions on the 5 way I also quite love the woody mid position on the Les Paul.
    So I switched the middle and neck pickups so I can get the neck and bridge together. Like the lesser power single on the neck anyway. Still gets neck & middle, now neck & bridge as well.
    Like this much better. I tried wiring the usual bypass switch jumper on the 5 way but for some reason it reacted badly with the wiring scheme on the bridge push/pull. If you pulled the option switch out all three pickups came on so I removed it and just switched the pickups. Normally I multi wire my Strats for more position options but on this one I have to give up the bridge & middle for the neck & bridge. Sounds very good on this set. Hint for those who like that sound on an LP: the woody sound is enhanced by the pickups not being at equal heights!

I like the Everything Axe HBs myself as they are very powerful and allow a Strat to burn w HB power. The lower power duckbucker sounds great in the neck as I like lower power pickups for neck. I normally like a dual rail in the bridge and this one does well in comparison.
    I like this set and it cleans up nicely rolling off the level cranks on bridge just like I prefer.

My only complaint on the wiring is how thin the pickup wires are and how fragile. When I moved the volume control I found a couple of connections with only a couple strands of wire so I redid several hots and ground connections with more contact and nice bright solder welds. I cannot understand why they do not make a harness on the bottom of the pickup and allow heavy duty wires to run from the pu to the controls and switch.
    "Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris."

Re: Mods on the Everything Axe set...

I'm surprised to hear that the volume was in a different location on the pick guard. I'd consider that a return worthy defect if you hadn't been willing to fix it yourself. I've bought many pick guards, and even when they can't manage to get the screw holes in the right place, they always at least manage to get the control placement right.

Comment

Not saying it was wrong or not placed where they intended it to go. It was just too close to the bridge for my manner of playing as I am used to different guitars. I need to rest my hand on the bridge with my fingers often touching the pickguard on the side of the bridge. With those large knobs on the prewired kit I could not get my fingers in there and had to remove the knob for some space. I finally decided to just move the knob a little to give me some clearance.
      Difference is slight on the original but I just had no room for my normal way of playing as the volume controls I have been used to for many years were not that close to the bridge.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	darkhorse-albums-june2014-picture11304-img-1075.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	5777771

Name:	darkhorse-albums-jan2014-everything-rig-picture10856-img-1033.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	5777772

Comment

I usually wire my strats for one tone and move the volume knob down to the top tone knob hole. I rarely use my tone knob much anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

I have in recent years been using more of my tones for subtle tone issues like a little too bright or wanting more roll off. I do not have it on this guitar but the best tone control I have used is the ToneStyler which is a 16 position high cut filter with pos 16 being bypass as no tone control, 15 is a normal tone on 10, from there it gradually cuts only high end and leaves the mids and lows untouched, pretty cool.

Name:	darkhorse-albums-june2014-picture11308-img-1081.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	5777786
          Tone Control in this one, sorry no Duncans on this one, just the way it worked out, not that I do not like them. Here I have a neck Dimarzzio Area '58, Carvin AP11, and a Carvin TBH60 dual rail. Pretty happy with this config. The AP11 is a traditional sounding pu but more output than a std single coil plus all the magnet poles provide a no loss signal when bending, a little noisy but very nice sounding. The TBH60 is a high output dual rail humbuckler I like a lot more powerful than a lot of full size HBs.

Comment

Working...
          X