banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JB Zebra TB4 Pickup , looking for an alternative.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB Zebra TB4 Pickup , looking for an alternative.

Whats up everyone?
    In your opinion what is a warmer , clearer pickup for Metal playing? I'll be honest I like the TB4 it's fantastic but I wouldn't mind trying a little warmer clearer design. Many swear by the Distortion models but I'm not sure if thats a good way to go over the TB4 or is it?

Re: JB Zebra TB4 Pickup , looking for an alternative.

The SH/TB-5 Custom would be a good place to start. It's pretty high output, as well, not too far off from a JB, but it has a much more open sounding EQ, and has a big meaty thump in the lows.

The Distortion is sorta like the JB on steroids. Very similar EQ, but it's tighter than the JB, crisper, more output, more scream in the upper mids, and sharper treble.

What is the guitar in question? and what amp are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
      The SH/TB-5 Custom would be a good place to start. It's pretty high output, as well, not too far off from a JB, but it has a much more open sounding EQ, and has a big meaty thump in the lows.

The Distortion is sorta like the JB on steroids. Very similar EQ, but it's tighter than the JB, crisper, more output, more scream in the upper mids, and sharper treble.

What is the guitar in question? and what amp are you using?
      I have a 2013 Charvel San Dimas HS HT which is my Project guitar. Out of the box it comes with a JB Zebra in the bridge and a single could size Classic Stack. The Classic stack is fun for Strat tele Type sounding spanking stuff but I would rather a warmer fuller sound like the Hot rail. The JB in the bridge IMO doesn't have enough output and warmth that I'm use to like in my Jackson SL3. The SL3 has the same pickup only all black instead of the Black white design. It sounds much warmer and fuller in that guitar so I'm thinking I would like to get closer to that sound then what I'm getting out of the Charvel.

The amp is a Krank Revolution 1 2x12 combo amp. It's amazingly clean like a Fender Bassman 10 / Twin and the Drive channels are like a 5150 with more clarity and NO noise. I just re tubed the entire amp and it's kicking ass as usual.

Comment

Interesting. The SL3 is mahogany with a maple neck through, correct?

I'm thinking try either the TB-5 Custom or the TB-15 Alternative 8. Both should give you a warmer, more open sound, but the Alt 8 is a bit higher output and will likely give you a sound a bit closer to the JB than the Custom.

Comment

What value volume and tone pots are you using? I know that some manufacturers (Jackson/Charvel included) will use 250k value pots with the JB. In my opinion the JB sounds much more open and articulate when using a 500k volume pot and 500k tone pot (or not including a tone pot at all).

Comment

I second the Alt 8 recommendation.
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Buy Darth Phineas Holy Diver in the trade forum, it's tighter and more focused than the JB but still has a vintage High Output swagger to it....

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjunkie986 View Post
                What value volume and tone pots are you using? I know that some manufacturers (Jackson/Charvel included) will use 250k value pots with the JB. In my opinion the JB sounds much more open and articulate when using a 500k volume pot and 500k tone pot (or not including a tone pot at all).
                No Tone pot, just a Volume control. I'll have to check and see which one it is. I can get a 500K pot for the volume but I use it wide open most of the time.

Comment

Definitely try 500k if it's not already. If that doesn't do the trick, or it is already 500k, you might like the Custom. However since you mentioned you are looking for a warmer sounding pickup, you might have better luck with the SH-11 Custom Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                    Buy Darth Phineas Holy Diver in the trade forum, it's tighter and more focused than the JB but still has a vintage High Output swagger to it....
                    ^^^ this ^^^

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X