banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SH-4 JB vs SH-6 Distortion vs SH-8 Invader - Which would be best for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-4 JB vs SH-6 Distortion vs SH-8 Invader - Which would be best for me?

Hello,

I'm an avid metal player. I tend to play newer metalcore and thrash.

I have an Ibanez 870QMZ (basswood body, 5pc neck, bolt-on).

I'm considering replacing the CAP-VM pickups (if anyone has more info on these pickups, i'd love to know more about them. Perhaps they're suited for another genre and not metal?) for either SH-4, SH-6, or SH-8.

I've seen some comparison videos on Youtube, but some of them sound pretty similar to me. The only thing I can say that the SH-4 has a terrible clean sound imo.

So SD experts: Can you tell me the major/minor differences between these pickups? I would love some help and/or recomendations.

Thanks!

EDIT: So it's come down to the following 2 (although i'm still researching other options): The aforementioned SH-6 Distortion and the Black Winter. I'd appreciate any info i can get on these 2 PUPs.

Also, this is my current setup: Laney LV100 Tube Fusion amp (running on the clean channel) + ML-2 Boss Metal Core Distortion Pedal (distortion knob is on 6/7) + NS-2 Boss Noise Supressor. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by PwnageEngage; 06-04-2014, 12:22 AM. Reason: Edit

Re: SH-4 JB vs SH-6 Distortion vs SH-8 Invader - Which would be best for me?

Originally posted by PwnageEngage View Post
    Hello,

I'm an avid metal player. I tend to play newer metalcore and thrash.

I have an Ibanez 870QMZ (basswood body, 5pc neck, bolt-on).

I'm considering replacing the CAP-VM pickups (if anyone has more info on these pickups, i'd love to know more about them. Perhaps they're suited for another genre and not metal?) for either SH-4, SH-6, or SH-8.

I've seen some comparison videos on Youtube, but some of them sound pretty similar to me. The only thing I can say that the SH-4 has a terrible clean sound imo.

So SD experts: Can you tell me the major/minor differences between these pickups? I would love some help and/or recomendations.

Thanks!
    Black Winter. Don't muck around.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

I spent a while trying to figure out the same question. Tried the Distortion, JB, Full Shred and Screamin Demon. Then the Black Winter came out. I need to get a set, because every track I hear played with them just rules.

Comment

Between the three you mentioned, the magnets are the primary differences. The pole pieces are an added difference with the invader.

The JB is the most versatile, especially if you need clean tone. If you don't require clean tone, go for the DD. The Invader will be thicker.

For something between the JB and the DD, have MJ make you a Dokkenbucker.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Being you have a basswood guitar I'm recommending dimarzios, The Deactivator X set or the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo....

Comment

I believe this guitar is basswood:

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Confused why you feel the sh-4 has bad cleans? Of the 3 it's Alnico 5 which compared to other the two ceramics would be less harsh and sterile. As far as cleans most people would say the Invader is too dark, almost unusable clean. But the positive is the Invader has that extra power and bass response for metal/high gain.

Comment

they should all work but I'd side with the Invader, Black Winter, or Dimarzio's for the modern metalz
                Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Either the DD or Black Winters. Invader is way too loose for what you want to do.
                  Current Gear:
                  LTD MH-400 (Gotoh GE1996T bridge; Black Winters)
                  LTD EC-1000T/CTM (BKP Ragnaroks)
                  Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
                  Duncan 805 OD
                  Jet City JCA100HDM
                  Jet City JCA100LTD
                  Mesa Dual Rectifier
                  Jet City American Custom Modern 2x12
                  Suhr Reactive Load

Comment

Black Winter. Seriously.

JB is its own animal. In Metal, it is the preferred pickup of classic megadeth. It is a fairly bright pickup with an upper mid spike. A very classic sound. Pinch harmonics are cake with the JB and DD. Under extreme gain some complain it is flubby. I feel it can have a bit of a cocked wah sound, which can be friend or foe.
                    DD is like a boxier black winter. The black winter is similar, but IME superior in every respect. The DD is a very dark pickup with a piercing high end. Absolutely great in the right guitar. I would say it is definitely a classic pickup, but to my ears it seems somewhat lacking in the mids and has more lows than I like. I am being picky though, it is a great pickup
                    Invader. Loose, flubby, overly bassy, too dark to have much definition IMO. It ends up sounding dark and fat and flubby. It is the only SD pickup I tried which I do not like at all.
                    Black Winter is a remarkably balanced pickup. No spikes, no mud, string definition like nothing else, and I would say it sounds relatively open for a high output pickup. It preserves nuances well. Played clean, with light drive, or under gobs of distortion it sounds excellent.

Comment

Don't get the Invader "lose" stuff, how lose the Invader and even the JB feels depends on your amp more than anything....You can always run the Invader with a 1 meg too....

Comment

If you can wait i would get a Sentient 6 string

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                          If you can wait i would get a Sentient 6 string
                          is the OP looking for a neck model?

Comment

Don't rule out the Alternative 8. I put one in an RG-120 and it's huge with distortion but nice and clear clean.

Comment

My vote is for the Black Winter. I much prefer the cleans of the BW to the JB.

Comment

Working...
                              X