banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bypassing tone and volume controls, straight to jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing tone and volume controls, straight to jack?

Hello, i have an old dano that i wanna connect straight to jack . Is there an easy way to do this that will allow myselt to convert back to using my tone and volume if necessary?

Can anyone illustrate or provide instructions on how to do this? Thx!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Re: Bypassing tone and volume controls, straight to jack?

It should be easy. What model of Danelectro is it?

Comment

you mean kinda like this?

Adding a blower switch is great for switching between rhythm and lead tones instantly. Check out this article to learn how to install one.

Comment

I have a danelectro/silvertone hornet kinda rare. 2 controls per pickup. Solid body.
        Somethong like the blow switch but minus the switch.

Comment

The link FuseG4 provided explains it, just know that you'd need two blower switches; one for each pickup, and that, if your guitar is wired like a Les Paul, the "standard guitar wiring" cloud only represents the controls for a given pickup, and the output wire of the blower switches would connect to the corresponding inputs of the pickup selector instead of the output jack.

Comment

Originally posted by soma89 View Post
            I have a danelectro/silvertone hornet kinda rare. 2 controls per pickup. Solid body.
            Somethong like the blow switch but minus the switch.

If it is only one pickup, then you just need to wire from the pickup straight to the output jack.

Comment

Can i keep the "neck-series-bridge pup" combo on the selector switch if i add a blower switch?

Comment

Originally posted by soma89 View Post
                Can i keep the "neck-series-bridge pup" combo on the selector switch if i add a blower switch?

Yes, because the two blower switches would be between the pickup and the selector switch, so anything the selector switch can do stock, it would still be able to do with the added blower switch. The important detail is that you need two blower switches, one for each pickup. If you use push/pull pots, you don't even have to mount special switches. I'd put one in under each of the volume pots, so that if you pull up the bridge vol knob, it "blows out" the bridge pickup, and likewise for the neck.

Comment

Question...would 500k pots give me the same "hotter output, more treble" to my lipstick pickups than connecting straight to jack? Wouldnt that be a better option if i wanna keep the switch?

I just dunno how id connect all the wires to that one output jack

Comment

No, the point of the straight to jack is that you don't have the loading of the volume pot (and/or tone pot). Add the loading back in and you don't have straight to the jack anymore. You could try a 1M pot, which will keep more treble and bite than a 500K

Comment

I just did this quik-'n-dirty 'cause I'm on my way to work, but here's the gist of it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	soma89.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	5777855

Connect the green terminals for normal vol/tone control. Connect the red terminals for vol/tone bypass. You could use those little jumpers like you see on a motherboard, or if you need the ability to switch back and forth, those six terminals just become the lugs of a DPDT switch.

I can do more details tonight, if you need.

Artie

(That would be a 4PDT switch for dual vol/tone's.)
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2014, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Ok.....so i want to do the pickup selector straight to jack. But the middle position is in series. No blower switch, i just wanna bypass the tone and volume. Possible?

Comment

Could you post a pic of the guitar? Danelectro or Silvertone Hornet brings up pics of several different guitars.

Comment

Working...
                          X