banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickup set will work best in my EC-1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickup set will work best in my EC-1000?

A few months ago, I ripped the EMGs out of my LTD EC-1000, because I really just do not like actives. Problem is, I'm not sure what I want to put in it. I've got some options, and I'm just unsure if they're what I want or not.

I mostly play through a 5150 block letter, but also through my interface into digital amps. The guitar is going to be most likely go between E standard and C# standard, depending on what I need it for that day (mostly in E, though). My playing goes from zeppelin-esque heavy blues rock to thrash/death metal, mostly on the heavier side. I'm looking for something tight and articulate in the bridge, with big (but tight) low end. Neck, I'm a fan of a tone kind of like Paul Waggoner from Between The Buried And Me's lead tone.

Custom 5/59: Seems like it would work best for the less-heavy stuff. I'm just not convinced it's what I want for the more extreme stuff I play. Maybe an SH-5 would work better?
    Full Shreds: Might work better for lower tunings than the C5/59, but I'm a bit concerned the mids might be a bit overpowering in an all-mahogany guitar.
    Black Winters: Would be perfect for the heavier stuff but I'm not exactly convinced they'll work that well for the lower gain stuff.
    Distortion/Jazz: I know I like this set. Solid combo, but perhaps not what I'm looking for in this guitar.
    Dimarzio Titans: Tight as all hell and super clear, but again, for lower output stuff I'm not sure they're what I want.
    BKP Aftermaths: Considerably more expensive, but maybe they're worth the expense since they're very close to the tone I'm after for metal.
    Current Gear:
    LTD MH-400 (Gotoh GE1996T bridge; Black Winters)
    LTD EC-1000T/CTM (BKP Ragnaroks)
    Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
    Duncan 805 OD
    Jet City JCA100HDM
    Jet City JCA100LTD
    Mesa Dual Rectifier
    Jet City American Custom Modern 2x12
    Suhr Reactive Load

Re: What pickup set will work best in my EC-1000?

Black winters do cleans and low gain very well.

I hated BKP aftermaths. Dry as a desert, and I would say darn near useless cleans. I thought they had insufficient bass, and they just felt dry. Shrill and dry would be my description

Basically a BW is a better distortion with more presence and a more balanced tone. I like mine clean and with low gain. If you like distortions, go for a BW.

I bought some pickups from one of the guys from BTBAM on ebay. They were no longer using them. Direct mount BKP Nailbomb Bridge (alnico) / VHII Neck. Said he was going back to Dimarzio.

Comment

I'll do some more research into the BW. I was also looking at the BKP Blackhawks, any idea on those?
      Current Gear:
      Duncan 805 OD
      Jet City JCA100HDM
      Jet City JCA100LTD
      Mesa Dual Rectifier
      Suhr Reactive Load

Comment

I have no experience with the blackhawks.

Comment

When I was thinking of going passive on my EC1000 I was leaning on the Black Winters, a Friend of mine has an EC1000 with the Bareknuckle Nailbomb set and they sound fantastic....

Mine currently has a blackout neck in the bridge and an emg60 in the neck...

Comment

Out of the ones you listed the Black Winters, Distortion, Dimarzio Titans, and BKP Aftermaths would probably be what you want.

The only suggestions I would add is from SD would be a Alternative 8 but outside of SD I would say look at the Bill Lawrence L500 and L90 series.
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
              When I was thinking of going passive on my EC1000 I was leaning on the Black Winters, a Friend of mine has an EC1000 with the Bareknuckle Nailbomb set and they sound fantastic....

Mine currently has a blackout neck in the bridge and an emg60 in the neck...
              Either of those would work.

If you go the BKP route, nailbombs would do well. I was unimpressed with the aftermaths. I suspect they might work better down-tuned. But big bass they do not have.

With Wilde, I would go L500, not l90 as l90s have a bit of a single coil sound IMO. They sound great, but I would suspect they are a bit quirky and can sound odd with tons of gain.

Comment

I have BW's in my EC-1000 and they smoke!! I also have BKP Blackhawks. Both of those pickups are my favorite 6 stringers'. I do have to say I love EMG's, and in the right rig, they sound great. I would say for more versatility, you'll want to go with the BW's. For as much as I love BKP's, they have a very unique sound, and if you drop that $$$ on BKP's and don't like them, that sucks. However BKP's have great aftermarket value. My Blackhawk is ceramic and very bright. I like bright, but lately I've been leaning toward alnico mags. I hope to get an alnico one day, but my BW's serve me very well right now.
                Originally posted by oneblackened View Post
                I'll do some more research into the BW. I was also looking at the BKP Blackhawks, any idea on those?

Comment

ESP puts a 59/JB combo in those. That might be excellent.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    ESP puts a 59/JB combo in those. That might be excellent.
                    Can't stand the JB. Probably my least favorite Duncan ever.
                    Current Gear:
                    Duncan 805 OD
                    Jet City JCA100HDM
                    Jet City JCA100LTD
                    Mesa Dual Rectifier
                    Suhr Reactive Load

Comment

Okay, after all that, I've decided to go with a set of BKP Alnico Nailbombs.

Thanks for the help, guys! SDUG is the best.
                      Current Gear:
                      Duncan 805 OD
                      Jet City JCA100HDM
                      Jet City JCA100LTD
                      Mesa Dual Rectifier
                      Suhr Reactive Load

Comment

Let us know!! I'm curious about the ABomb...
                        You can't go wrong with BKP.
                        Originally posted by oneblackened View Post
                        Okay, after all that, I've decided to go with a set of BKP Alnico Nailbombs.

Thanks for the help, guys! SDUG is the best.

Comment

After a little more debate (and listening), I went with the Ceramic Blackhawks. I realized the ABomb was gonna be a bit too bassy in a guitar that's like a slightly brighter Les Paul.
                          Current Gear:
                          Duncan 805 OD
                          Jet City JCA100HDM
                          Jet City JCA100LTD
                          Mesa Dual Rectifier
                          Suhr Reactive Load

Comment

I use A-bombs in a solid mahogany Les Paul Firebrand deluxe. Not bassy at all in there.

Comment

Working...
                            X