Gibson 498 vs Gibson 57' Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson 498 vs Gibson 57' Classic

I just replaced the 57+ in my Les Paul trad with a 498T. The 57+ had a shrill top end and lacked in mids. Even when rolling the tone and volume the pickup seemed very one dimensional. The 498T is very throaty it almost barks. Think of a ripping Joe Perry type of tone. The 498T is also very responsive to the tone and volume control if you back it off a bit you tame some of the grittiness and smooth out the tone a lot. I have 498Ts in 3 guitars and swear by them.

Comment

Mismatched coil PAF style with an A3 magnet?

Holy Vintage Mojo Henry!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I just replaced the 57+ in my Les Paul trad with a 498T. The 57+ had a shrill top end and lacked in mids. Even when rolling the tone and volume the pickup seemed very one dimensional. The 498T is very throaty it almost barks. Think of a ripping Joe Perry type of tone. The 498T is also very responsive to the tone and volume control if you back it off a bit you tame some of the grittiness and smooth out the tone a lot. I have 498Ts in 3 guitars and swear by them.
        Again - a decent pickup for all kinds of playing. Not great with the 490, IMO, and as always, I can find something better for any specific thing. MUCH MALIGNED IMO.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I like the BB's and the the Classic 57's in some guitars. They are both great in SG's and other thinner guitars. I still prefer the PG's in a Les Paul. But the Gibsons bring out the sound I like in an SG.
          Hmm...

Comment

Working...
          X