Gibson LP Classic Pick-Up Help Please - Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson LP Classic Pick-Up Help Please - Suggestions

I know this has been discussed many times before, but please allow me to tell you what I'm looking for and I certainly appreciate your opinions and advice.

Play classic/80's rock, mostly instrumental. Love Satriani, Vai, Zaza, etc. Amps are Marshalls (Plexi, JCM 800, Jubilee, 6100). Speakers - Greenbacks and Classic Lead 80's (fairly dark speaker). Have a number of different guitars and use DiMarzio's in a lot of them. Looking for something different.

I don't like upper mid-heavy, nasally or honky tone. Easy to get with a classic Marshall and greenbacks with the wrong pick-up. Have a 1991 Gibson LP Classic. Here is my experience so far with the bridge pick-up:

1) Gibson Classic 57 - Great tone. Way to weak for lead work.
    2) Gibson Classic 57+ - Liked the tone. Seemed mid-scooped which I liked. Nice bite. Wanted more power for pinch harmonics.
    3) DiMarzio Air Zone - Thunderous low mids. Works well with Marshall and Greenbacks.
    4) Gibson 498T - Good output and smooth. Unfortunately, honky mids with Greenbacks.
    5) DiMarzio Air Zone - the lows are too much with the Classic Lead 80's. Plus they have a little bit too much "hair" or "fuzz".

So what am I looking for?

A smooth pick-up, kinda like the Classic 57+ tonally with a little bit more output. I am certainly open to suggestions. What SD pick-ups would fill this need?

For neck pick-ups, I rarely use them. Just want something that matches what I have in the bridge. Started with the Classic 57 and now have a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF (very nice pickup BTW).

Thanks for your help!!

DP
    Marshalls - 1987XL, JCM 800 2203X, 2555 Jubilee, 6100 30th Anniversary, 1960BX, 1960B (with 75's and Classic Lead 80's), 1936.

Guitars - 91' Gibson LP Classic, Fender Clapton Strat, Fender American Deluxe Strat (HSS), PRS Custom 24, Jackson USA Soloist SL1, Taylor 410CE, Fender Highway One P-Bass

Re: Gibson LP Classic Pick-Up Help Please - Suggestions

Pearly Gator.

The '78 also comes to mind, but it can be aggressive.

Comment

Sounds like you either want a Custom5 or the new Perpetual Burn humbucker.
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I'm thinking something along the lines of a C5, Alnico II Pro, or Alnico II Pro Slash model.

Comment

I was reading C5, as well, for both power and tone. If that's a bit too scooped, you could always try the Custom (if you don't want to do a magnet swap from A5 to Ceramic).

Comment

Help a brother out....bump.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. The Custom 5 (SH-14) always seems to rise to the top for a LP/Marshall combination.

How does the Custom 5 compare to the Duncan Custom (SH-5) or the 59 Custom Hybrid (SH-16) for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Also, how does the Custom Custom sound in an LP (SH-11)?
              Last edited by dptone5; 06-05-2014, 08:20 PM.
              Marshalls - 1987XL, JCM 800 2203X, 2555 Jubilee, 6100 30th Anniversary, 1960BX, 1960B (with 75's and Classic Lead 80's), 1936.

Guitars - 91' Gibson LP Classic, Fender Clapton Strat, Fender American Deluxe Strat (HSS), PRS Custom 24, Jackson USA Soloist SL1, Taylor 410CE, Fender Highway One P-Bass

Comment

It seems to me, that based on the 498T being pretty ok the C5 recs are spot on. m C5 won't have a honky mid at all.

I will say OP - I do not understand your ears. I would not describe any of those pups that way…..

The Custom is going to have extreme bass (and tight) and screaming highs, and likely more kids than you'll want. Plus, it is hot hot hot. The 59 Hybrid will be less bass/treble output than the Custom and more mids I believe.

Again - a C5 is a mag swap away from a Custom or a Custom Custom or a C8….
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

BTW - the SH-14 Sound Clip on the Seymour Duncan page does not sound very good compared to the SH-5 or SH-11.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    It seems to me, that based on the 498T being pretty ok the C5 recs are spot on. m C5 won't have a honky mid at all.

I will say OP - I do not understand your ears. I would not describe any of those pups that way…..

The Custom is going to have extreme bass (and tight) and screaming highs, and likely more kids than you'll want. Plus, it is hot hot hot. The 59 Hybrid will be less bass/treble output than the Custom and more mids I believe.

Again - a C5 is a mag swap away from a Custom or a Custom Custom or a C8….
                    Thanks for your help and yes, I'm sure my ears are off (can't hear anything above 4000 Hz). Too much loud music for too many decades!!

Comment

Originally posted by dptone5 View Post
                      Thanks for your help and yes, I'm sure my ears are off (can't hear anything above 4000 Hz). Too much loud music for too many decades!!
                      Yeah - I hear a 59 as much more mid scooped than it really is - that's a dip in the eq of my ear!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Norton bridge PGn neck for hot duncan on dimarzio action......

Comment

A2pro or slash. Less honk than a 57 and spongier low mids.
                          nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Working...
                          X