banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shred, Neck Pickups, and Dashed Hopes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shred, Neck Pickups, and Dashed Hopes...

I like the Humbucker From Hell and the LiquiFire for the OPs applications.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Shred neck pickups won't have a lot of highs and lows but a strong mid. so the fretboard is sensitive. On distortion, cause high freq.s from the pickup causes an "ice pick" sound all the highs come from a treble booster on anything else in the chain. I mean you don't hit the amp with guitars natural highs, but boost them from the amp to get a better gain to noise ratio.

I modded my air norton to a norton and now it has even less highs but a stronger mid. . I'd go get a Petrucci set (new or older models-safe to assume they are shred ready) and work on tweaking the chain. After you get the best of the rig then fine tune the tone with new PU's.

Comment

I just ordered a Super 2 to give it a try. Might not be what I end up with, but sounds promising, and one guitar I'm working with already had a Super Distortion bridge.

Comment

How does one go about un-airing an Air Norton? I have an Air Norton and don't like it... The regular Norton Bridge might even be a decent match for the full shred neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
            I just ordered a Super 2 to give it a try. Might not be what I end up with, but sounds promising, and one guitar I'm working with already had a Super Distortion bridge.
            Super 2's are fantastic.

Another pickup which i know you would like is a wilburn metalbucker, Good luck finding one now days but damn they are meaty.

And i really like the dimarzio megadrive, I think you can still find them on ebay.
            Last edited by kramersteen; 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I actually wonder if this dude ever sold his set of metalbuckers $70 for the both is a awesome price.
              https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...p-Metalbuckers

I think kent armstrong had something to do with the design and building them.

Or what about a shadow eq5?
              Last edited by kramersteen; 06-07-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

How does one go about un-airing an Air Norton? I have an Air Norton and don't like it... The regular Norton Bridge might even be a decent match for the full shred neck.
                I also hated it and have been experimenting for a while...

Better cleans; magnet touches the screwpoles, bolts are aired but with metal spacer (though metal spacer is not a must). Gets much more open and balanced, ridiculously good for clean blues sort of stuff.
                Better dist.; Metal spacer on screwpoles, bolts are aired. If underpowered turn metal spacer and the magnet touches to bolts. Bolts aired is dark but works best for extreme gain shred, bolts touched by magnet then more usable on clean sounds.

Keep in mind dimarzio spacers side lengths aren't even, so thats how the magnet either touches the bolt poles or not. If you don't have one, just find something magnetic and with the right length (like a thick needle or paper clip).
                Last edited by Mertay; 06-08-2014, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I've thought about trying the liquifire. It sounds like it might not have the attack and bite I want though. I've never really thought about the Fred as a neck pickup. I will look into that. I just need to sell off about a dozen pickups and buy some new ones to try out.
                  I love the liquifire neck. it does gain beautifully. it's super smooth and articulate. I really like it a lot.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Dean/DMT MAB Hands Without Shadows.....thick yet articulate with a sweet tone = awesome neck PU for shred. I've got one in my maple/mahogany neck-through & it sounds the same/as good as the clip....Killer pup

http://www.deanguitars.com/clips/MAB_HWS_PUP.mp3
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I was gonna say Super 2, although I always thought it went better with the Super 3. The contrast with the regular Super D is too big.

It's a great CLEAR ceramic neck pickup.

If that doesn't work, I've always had immense success with the Gibson 496r. To me it sounds like a juiced up Alnico II Pro neck.
                      AccountKiller

Comment

I recently installed the Dimarzio Breed Bridge in the PRS that has a Full Shred Neck. It makes a really good combo, but I'm liking the clarity of the Breed so much that I am now curious about the Breed Neck. Anyone have any experience with it?

I have a Super 2 in the neck of another PRS with a Super D in the bridge. That is another great combo, but not quite as versatile.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend anything with a thick mid range in the neck position.

A lot of the technical shredders, Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Batio, swear by these thick juicy neck pickups. It's really awesome in brighter superstrat guitars, but in full bodied guitars i.e. PRS Customs, and Les Pauls, stuff like the Air Norton, Breed, and Evolution really get muddy.

Hell, I didn't even like the Evolution I had in my Ibanez Jem.

If you like the Full Shred neck, I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. That's just GAS biting at you.
                          AccountKiller

Comment

Working...
                          X